Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choke cable problems - anyone made a lever for it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke cable problems - anyone made a lever for it?

I am having problems with my Choke cable again and have been trying to come up with something interesting as a solution. My thought is to have a little lever under the tank to put the choke on and off. Seems much simpler and I just think it would be cooler than pulling on a choke knob .

Anybody ever tried anything like this? I am not looking to reinvent the wheel if it has already been done!

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know why they discontinued the choke lever on the side of the carbs, It was so simple

Comment

OR you can get one of those left hand switches with the Choke lever in built. thats kool too.

Comment

There's a small flat spot, at the left end of the choke rack, there is enough room to drill a small hole in it, then get the choke know off an old Kawasaki dirt bike & attach this knob to the choke rack with a small screw & nut. Works pretty good, but tou got to hold it out till the engine warms up. Some of the early "80"'s Kawasakis had CV carbs with the choke knob on the carbs, but I don't know what kind of system made them stay in position. Come to think of it the wifeees Kawasaki Eliminator ZL 600 has the choke on the carbs.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          I don't know why they discontinued the choke lever on the side of the carbs, It was so simple
          because having it up top puts in in easy reach and you don't have to fiddle around feeling for the choke on the side of the carbs.

I have a rack of carbs from a 81 XS11 and it has the choke on the side, I will have to take a look, but I think it would swap right over to gs carbs as the yamaga uses mikuni bs34's also.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            Simple is exactly what I want it to be, cables are a pain!

Comment

Originally posted by anikmankar
              OR you can get one of those left hand switches with the Choke lever in built. thats kool too.
              I have a 79, with the headlight on/off switch, would one of the newer left hand ones have the wiring for this I wonder?

Comment

I think "79" was the last of the headlight switch models, and they had to be worked on before they would turn the light "on" & "off". In the early 80's, the choke cable was something new & improved, that's why they gave more trouble than the old lever on the carb.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

what sort of problems exactly? n/t

Comment

Re: what sort of problems exactly? n/t

Originally posted by rkubik
                    Re: what sort of problems exactly? n/t
                    The cable started binding up in the cold and then Broke. Last time the long neck on it broke, ... I just don't want to go spend money on a new cable if I can come up with a solution that is simpler in design and function, something I can fix on the road if it breaks. (Which it won't because it is simpler right?)

hehe

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
                      I think "79" was the last of the headlight switch models, and they had to be worked on before they would turn the light "on" & "off". In the early 80's, the choke cable was something new & improved, that's why they gave more trouble than the old lever on the carb.
                      My 81 has a headlight off switch. It was built oin february. Buy September they went to the new style with the choke lever adn no off switch. A small plastic tit had to cut off so you could move the switch. Absolutely stupid to put a on/of switch on and then not allow it to move.
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                      X