Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gettin old wax off emblems. . . . any suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gettin old wax off emblems. . . . any suggestions.

Any suggestions for cleaning up old wax that is discoloring the dark colored background on my tank emblems on this bike I just got? That background is textured. Soap will not disolve it will it? And I dont really want to experiment with solvents. Anybody have any experience with this? I have used tooth pics before to get wax out of emblems, but this is more of a discoloration of the dark textured backgound.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Glass cleaner worked well.

Answer to my own question: I just tried glass cleaner ("Windex") sprayed on old toothbrush and then scrub with the brush. Worked real well. Sprayed it on toothbrush rather than spraying on emblems to avoid having it all over tank (not that I know that would be a problem, but just to avoid it anyway).
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Now take an permanant black magic marker and really make it look new again. Or testor makes a paint pen which works excellent.

Comment

I've used a heat gun and a clean rag and it worked ok.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Living in West Michigan

Hey Redman where are you located. I live in Richland MI which is just outside of Kalamazoo. I am always looking for fellow vintage Mcycle guys in my neck of the woods to converse with or ride with. Let me know, email jjkalin@voyager.net. Jeff.

Comment

wax off

Old soft tooth brush and spray it with WD-40.
            Frank

Comment

Spray wax (even Pledge) and a toothbrush works, too. The new wax is a perfect (and harmless) solvent for the old wax, and when you're done, it's waxed! Not good if you're going to paint. In that case I'd use alcohol and a toothbrush and/or Q-tip.

Comment

WD40 + toothBrush : cleans it all - allow WD40 to soak before using the brush. Works for all purposes
                - removing tar / oil from pipes and engine.
                - grime on chain or swingarm..

Comment

Originally posted by anikmankar
                  WD40 + toothBrush : cleans it all - allow WD40 to soak before using the brush. Works for all purposes
                  - removing tar / oil from pipes and engine.
                  - grime on chain or swingarm..
                  and wheels. I just spray it on a rag and wipe down the wheels. Takes any oil right off of them!
                  Kevin
                  E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                  "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                  Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

i work at a body shop... when we get crap like that we use liquid soap and an old tooth brush... works really well... i didn't think it would work when i was first told about it... i had my doubts... but i was amazed at how well it work... old painters... man i'll tell you whhhhat... they're full of useless knowledge

Jake-E

Comment

I used simple green and an old toothbrush, worked like magic. basically anything to get in the cracks and crevasses. I also pulled my tank emblems, cleaned and waxed behind em while I was at it.

Comment

I just finished repainting mine.. Found out I could spray the entire piece, wait til the paint was semi-hardened, then scraped off the the lettering leaving the the color background. Once finished, I went back and ClearCoat the piece. The fingernail works great as a scraper.

-Tim[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X