1981 GS1100E Wheel swap w/1983 model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS1100E Wheel swap w/1983 model?

Hi all, I just purchased the front 19 and rear 18 of what was advertised to be 1983 GS1100 wheels off ebay for my 81 GS1100E. I asked the seller about the rear rim width and he stated it was a 3.5" rim. I am pretty sure I have seen this style of wheel on the earlier 11s here in the forum. They look somewhat like three boomerangs with the bent outer edges meeting in the center of the wheel. My question is can these wheels be grafted onto the 81? If so can someone tell me how they did it or point me to the thread that illustrates how it can be done. I will be searching through the threads myself looking for the answer, but if someone knows how to get me to where I want to go quicker it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I don't remember an 1100 "E" with an 18" rear wheel. I can't picture the wheel that you are describing, I think there were only 2 styles of "GS" cast wheels. The "81" & "83 1100 "E" wheels will fit either bike, just bolt them on. Can you post a picture of what you've got???
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Picture

Originally posted by rphillips
      I don't remember an 1100 "E" with an 18" rear wheel. I can't picture the wheel that you are describing, I think there were only 2 styles of "GS" cast wheels. The "81" & "83 1100 "E" wheels will fit either bike, just bolt them on. Can you post a picture of what you've got???
      They look exactly like the wheels on this 83 GS1100ED. The sizes were quoted to me by someone who wasn't positive about the dimensions. Hopefully they are 17s. That would make the swap a non problem.

Comment

Both the 81 and 83 use the exact same wheel widths and diameters. They are only asthetically different. I swap rubber between them every once in a while.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

They look exactly like the wheels on this 83 GS1100ED.
          That's a 17" rim and I think 3" wide. The 3.5" weren't until the 1150's I think... Regardless, it uses a 130/70/17 rear tire.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
            Both the 81 and 83 use the exact same wheel widths and diameters. They are only asthetically different. I swap rubber between them every once in a while.

That's a 17" rim and I think 3" wide. The 3.5" weren't until the 1150's I think... Regardless, it uses a 130/70/17 rear tire.
            I think that I'm good to go on the swap then. I like the way the 83 rims look. I think the rims on the 80 and 81 are ok looking, but they appear a bit old looking when compared to the 83 rims.

I assume that tubes are still needed on the 83 rims?

Comment

Originally posted by retrex

I assume that tubes are still needed on the 83 rims?
              That depends alot on personal opinion around here. :?
              Almost like the chain vs. shaft debate.
              I,myself, run with tubes in my tires. So don't, I do.
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Re: 1981 GS1100E Wheel swap w/1983 model?

As far as I know, the 1981 through 1983 1100E was only made with a 19" front rim and and 17" rear. L models had a 19" front and 16" rear. I believe 18" rear tires were discontinued starting in 1980 on all GS E models.

Earl

Originally posted by retrex
                Hi all, I just purchased the front 19 and rear 18 of what was advertised to be 1983 GS1100 wheels off ebay for my 81 GS1100E. I asked the seller about the rear rim width and he stated it was a 3.5" rim. I am pretty sure I have seen this style of wheel on the earlier 11s here in the forum. They look somewhat like three boomerangs with the bent outer edges meeting in the center of the wheel. My question is can these wheels be grafted onto the 81? If so can someone tell me how they did it or point me to the thread that illustrates how it can be done. I will be searching through the threads myself looking for the answer, but if someone knows how to get me to where I want to go quicker it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

That spoke pattern is the same as the GS1150 and early- 1986 and 1987 GSXR wheels. I know as I have a 3.5in GS1150- rear for my '83 GS750ED.

The GS1150 used both the 3.0 (early) and 3.5 in wheels- all 17inch

The 1986-87 GSXR's used the 18in wheels front and rear-not sure about the widths.

Good Luck, Ed.
                  1983 GS750ED
                  2005 GSF1200SZ

Comment

Wait and see attitude adopted.

Since there seems to be some conflicting data between what the seller stated he had and what I am reading here, I think that I will wait until I get the wheels before I waste anyones time on this. From what I am reading the rear wheel sounds as if it came off an 1150, if it indeed is a 3.5, but the seller claims it came off an 83 1100ED which should make it the same width as my 81 according to Jethro. Sometimes you just don't know what you got until you get it. I'll check back in when they arrive. BTW what was the first Suzuki wheel that was tubless? Just a point of intrest I'm curious about.

Comment

Working...
                    X