Possible front-end swaps for 1978 GS 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible front-end swaps for 1978 GS 750

I'm at an impasse as far as my project to change my GS 750 over to dual discs, as I can't find E-style fork lowers for my 35mm fork tubes. A guest on this forum talked about having some machine work done so that, if you have tapered roller steering-head bearings, the 37mm front fork triple-trees from the GS1000 and GS850 will mount up on the GS 750. Anyone have any advice about this, or any other, method where I can go to better front brakes ( and hopefully better suspension)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
    1979 GS 1000

What year is your GS750? Its my understanding that the complete front end off pretty much any Suzuki street bike will bolt up as long as it has tapered bearings or you swap the ball bearings for them.

Good luck.
    /\/\ac

Comment

My bike is a 1978 GS 750

I know that many of the newer front end fork tubes are considerably shorter than the 1977-1979 front ends. I would be very interested in any thoughts any of you might have about options.
      1979 GS 1000

Comment

Re: My bike is a 1978 GS 750

Originally posted by jknappsax
        I know that many of the newer front end fork tubes are considerably shorter than the 1977-1979 front ends. I would be very interested in any thoughts any of you might have about options.
        Im also very interested to hear what forks will fit my GS750, I havent seen to many suzuki (or other brands) that are even close in leg length when parked up, Ive actually checked a few, I want a tripple tree and new fork legs, my local (useless) suzuki agent is "looking into it" (if its like my K&N pods, it will take at least 6 mths)

I thought being a GS dedicated forum that at least one person would have done such a swap............

(or know someone who has)

Comment

The 2 valve 750 shares key triple tree dimensions with older Suzukis. (GT750 etc.) It has ball bearings top & bottom & the bottom bearing is smaller than
          newer large GS bikes. Tapered roller bearing kits are readily available, but you'll have to modify or fabricate the lower triple tree to get any of the newer
          Suzuki forks to fit.

Terry

Comment

I fitted a COMPLETE GS 1000e front end (forks, yolks, wheel, discs etc.) to my 1977 GS750, the only mod was to turn down the steering shaft to accomodate the slightly smaller 750's bearings, 1mm I seem to remember. Works perfect & even the 'experts' havn't noticed!

Comment

I want a shorter ft. end for my 78-750 too. Could I use the newer technology & maybe fit a 600 Bandit front end? I want to lower it in the back too since the older bikes seemed to have tons of ground clearance.
              80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

I have fit a 87 gsxr front end on my 77' 750. It's a very easy swap over. The only thing to watch out for are the stem bearings on the 77' they are ball bearings not tapered roller bearings like all the other later suzuki's. My fix for that problem was to keep the ball bearings but machine out the I.D. of the bottom races to fit the gsxr steering stem. And another thing I would suggest you do, bolt on a set of handle bar risers and not keep the clip-ons as you won't have very much steering because of gas tank clearance.

Comment

Ground clearance

Did going over to the shorter GSXR forks cause any ground-clearance problems?
                  1979 GS 1000

Comment

I think I lost about an inch or so I'm not really sure. I have the 18inch wheels from the same 87'gsxr so I wouldn't lose that much ground clearance compared to swaping to 17inch wheels. Also if you do any swaping around remember to get both front and rear wheels just for saftey you do not want to mix bias tires with radial tires bad things will happen I've heard.

Comment

Working...
                    X