GSM sport rack installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSM sport rack installation

Just got a GSM sport rack for my 83 GS750E off of e-bay. Clearly in used condition - when will people learn the difference between USED and NOS? NOS aint used. NOS is NOS. NEW old stock. Guess I learned my lesson. Don't believe it's NOS unless it's in the frickin' packaging. I won't ever believe that BS line "taken out of the original packaging for pictures only". BS!

Anyway, to my question...

There was no installation instructions or mounting hardware included, but I didn't fret too much. I figured out how to mount a chrome rack on my 78 550 without any, and that was a pretty laborious task.

But for the life of me I can't figure out how the hell this rack goes on. It looks so damned simple, but it's not. I have a pretty good feeling it will if I take off the tailpeice, but there's no way I'd be able to get the tailpeice back on once it was mounted up!

Any pictures I've seen of bikes with the GSM racks makes it look very simple - it just basically slips on using the existing hardware and mounting points on the frame.

Anyhow - any 83 GS750E or ES owners (or GS700E owners) out there that have a GSM rack installed? Any tips? Any pictures?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You will probably have to take the tail piece off so that it will be easier to work on. The front of the rack should go on the top shock mount. The rack may interfere with the with the frame mount of the rear turn signals. If it does you will have to relocate the t/s on the GSM rack.

Comment

Do you have a pic of the rack? Maybe a link to the auction or something, should still be on ebay if you just got it?

The rack on my GS750EF bolts on where the grab handles are under the back of the seat/tailpiece. You have to take off the seat and slip the bracket under one side and then the other and bolt it up. If it has flanges with two bolt holes that would take bolts from the bottom that likely how it goes.

/\/\ac

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond to this guys - I really appreciate it.

Jay, my bike has a rear mono-shock, so mounting to the top shock mounts isn't an option - I sure wish it was!

Mac- I'll PM you with the picture if I can attach it to the message. I don't know how to post it here on this site.

I figured out that the two front flanges are to be attached at the rear most bolt on the two grab rails. But what I can't figure out is the two flanges about 8" back - there's definitely a threaded bolt hole in each side of the frame that these two flanges meet up with, but to do that I would have to take the tailpiece off. And with the design of the tailpiece (kind of a tailpiece and rear fender all wrapped into one), there's no way I could get it back on when the rack is mounted up.

There's got to be a way, there's got to be some simple thing that I'm overlooking here.

It's just frustrating as hell that I can't figure it out!

Anyhow, I'll PM you with the pic right now.

Chad

Comment

Hey- by the way Mac - is that 84 an import? Send me a pic when you get a chance - I'd like to check it out.

Chad

Comment

Actually I can't attach it to a PM either.

Any ideas on free sites or anything where I can post a few pics and then post them on this thread?

Comment

Chad,

For pics you can try signing up for a free account at Photobucket.com and uploading the pic there and then pasting the link here or in an e-mail. There are other sites but I find Photobucket the easiest to use. Paste the tags it gives you that start [ IMG] .

Yep my bike is an import, kinda. I've got a few pics I'm going to post in Performance or Appearance Mods but I was waiting for better pics. These are OK but not great and the bike is about 1000 miles away right now.

<edit> I started to go into the life story of my bike here but I'll wait and post it with the pics. <edit>

I just went out to the garage and had a look at a bare frame I've got out there. It looks like it would be possible to have something come up from the bottom between the plastic cowl and the frame and fasten with the two bolt holes that line up with the metal pan under the cowl.

Post those pics if you can or e-mail to me at this screen name at gmail.com

/\/\ac (matic)

Comment

Just got a GSM sport rack for my 83 GS750E off of e-bay. Clearly in used condition - when will people learn the difference between USED and NOS?
                Just be happy you found one! I had bids on ebay going for two years before I found mine.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The rack I got for my 83 went on to the lift handle locations under the seat. If you remove the seat the handles are easy to remove. Then the rack should have longer bolts to go through the handles and the rack and bolt right on. It was pretty easy to install. I hope yours is as easy.

Comment

I'm pretty sure this is the rack he's talking about...since its the one he bought. I'll go out and look at my frame later...but man, its 4 degrees out and too far to the garage!

eBay stalking since 1998,
                    /\/\ac

Comment

That's it!! I actually contacted the seller and he found instructions and mounting hardware!!

So we'll see.

In the mean time - let's call these mounting points a, b, c and d from left to right.

I can figure out a and b - the grab rail bolts.

But I can't figure out c and d. Anyhow, I hope the instructions explain it.

I'll post back when (if) I get it figured out. If anyone has an idea where c and d mount to before then though, by all means share it!

Mac - vitreous humor??? Are you an optometrist or something?

Comment

Chad,

I've been eyeing one of those racks myself - they come up on eBay from time to time...

It should replace the grab handles that are under the bottom edges of the tail section, as far as I know.

Curious to see the finished product - post some photos if you can when you get it sorted.

And a big thumbs up on a very rare bike in the US, Macmatic - does your EF have the full plastics like the UK model?

-Q!

Comment

Originally posted by crc1214
                          Thanks for taking the time to respond to this guys - I really appreciate it.

Jay, my bike has a rear mono-shock, so mounting to the top shock mounts isn't an option - I sure wish it was!

Mac- I'll PM you with the picture if I can attach it to the message. I don't know how to post it here on this site.

I figured out that the two front flanges are to be attached at the rear most bolt on the two grab rails. But what I can't figure out is the two flanges about 8" back - there's definitely a threaded bolt hole in each side of the frame that these two flanges meet up with, but to do that I would have to take the tailpiece off. And with the design of the tailpiece (kind of a tailpiece and rear fender all wrapped into one), there's no way I could get it back on when the rack is mounted up.

There's got to be a way, there's got to be some simple thing that I'm overlooking here.

It's just frustrating as hell that I can't figure it out!

Anyhow, I'll PM you with the pic right now.

Chad
                          My bad. I had a totally different picture of the install in my head. It also helps to look at the model year of the GS before typing.

Comment

crc1214 & QuaiChangKane

I finally got some pic of my bike up over in Appearance Mods.

Comment

Ok, I see, it is different from mine. The two long tangs toward the front will go to the grab rail. The two short pieces to the rear most probably go to the signal stalks.

Comment

Working...
                              X