What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do?

So I'm getting back into the 81 1100E project for something to do over the winter.

I have totally stripped the frame, and pulled the engine. I removed the head, the jugs, and the oil pan. When I pulled the jugs, I found marks of something that rattled around the base of cyl #1, the sleeve had nicks (not on the piston surface) and the bottom of the piston itself. When I pulled the oil pan, I found a hardend washer all munged up sitting in the pan. Looks like I dodged a bullet there, could have been fatal. I'm guessing the washer is from one of the locator pins for the stator, or maybe somewhere in the clutch.

I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and crack the cases. My visual inspection so far has determined the following:

1. Using a method I learned in another post by the APE employee that is a member, I think my crank is straight. I can get an 18mm pipe through all the wrist pin holes in the crankarms at the same time. At least it isn't twisted, might be a little unbalanced I guess, and it certainly isn't welded.

2. I think my transmission is functioning properly, but it looks like the dogs for gear #2 are a little rough at the edges. Probably not enough to slip it out of gear, but a little worn.

3. It's pretty clean in there.

So who thinks I should suck it up and crack the cases to have the crank welded and balanced?

Also, would you change that worn gear? Does the case need to cracked to get that gear rack out?

What else would you do to the lower end at this point? I'm rebuilding the entire top end, for a long lasting GS engine. This one only has around 45k miles on it. I want to be riding that 81 1100E forever!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Split it, winter just started. What good is a fresh top end if the bottom isn't sorted.

Did you find two thin washers on the starter gear dowel?

I had to split my case twice because APE failed to mention I needed a spacer for the large bearing on the output shaft of my 1150, eventhough they only list two sizes for the tranmission bearings small and large for both the 1100/1150.

That was unpleasant to have go in there twice in one month.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Go the whole way,if you have the time and finance,you will end up with a sound motor and gear box,that will last you "forever".There is nothing worse than having to go back later and repeat most of the work.
      Good luck and enjoy the rebuild!

Comment

Re: What would you do?

Originally posted by Jethro
        I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and crack the cases.

So who thinks I should suck it up and crack the cases to have the crank welded and balanced?

Also, would you change that worn gear?

I'm rebuilding the entire top end, for a long lasting GS engine. This one only has around 45k miles on it. I want to be riding that 81 1100E forever!
        To answer the questions quoted above... and given the statement you made that I bolded, I would say yes for sure, split it, get the crank done right (trued, welded, balanced) and replace the gear with the worn dogs. Also inspect and replace anything else in there that shows wear. Do it right now while your at it Geoff and you wont need to go back in for a long long time man Riding it then will be it's own reward.

Rock on! 8)

Comment

look at keiths bike, there are pics. I know youve seen em, but look again. that is what I would try to pull off if I were gonna rebuild a bike. nicer than new. bordering on being art. and bad to the bone. one day the 850 will get its version of that treatment.

If your other bike runs well, then who cares if it takes two years to get it right, go through it all and make the bike bulletproof. another good reason is parts availability, itll never be better than today, more and more companies will drop the older products, and suzukis supplies of new parts are finite.

Comment

Sounds like a clear decision. This from the guy who always does everything at least twice. Ray
            "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
            GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
            1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
            1979 GS1000SN The new hope
            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I'm gonna crack the case tonight. Been wanting to anyway. I'll give another report after I do so.

Fun in the workshop tonight!
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
              X