1980 GS 1100E sprocket upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS 1100E sprocket upgrade

I have am looking to replace the chain and sprockets on my 1980 GS 1100E. The stock gearing is a 15-42 with a 630 chain, I was checking on BikeBandit and they have aftermarket replacements that are 17-43 with a 530 chain. Is this a standard replacement for this bike? Any thought or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Lee

2 up on the front is about like 6 down in the rear. That is a pertty big jump. The GS 1100 E with stock gearing is apprx. 60mph @ 4,000 rpm in 5th gear. I would guess this change should raise it to apprx. 65 0r 67 @ 4000 in 5th.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

When I converted to a 530 set up, I first went with a 15-42. Well, the 15t cog wore out real fast, plus it hit the swingarm unless I had the chain too tight. Move up to a 17-48, that will be a better ratio.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

How about this from the AFAM site:

I wasn't sure if you are trying to just replace the 630 chain and sprockets or if you wanted to go to a smaller chain. Let me know and I'll see what I can find.

Comment

Thanks for the replys. What I wanted to do was put a little taller gear on my bike. When I started looking for a new gear on Bike Bandit, I saw they were selling the 530 chain conversion and the only gears they mentioned were 17-43. My thought was this must be a popular conversion, since that is the only gear ratio they mentioned.

Thanks again,
          Lee

Comment

17-43 will work fine on the 1100. Youre going to lose a small bit in initial "jump" from a stop light, but it will pull that gear easily enough. The benefit is lower vibration level and a little better gas milage. You will drop about 5-600 rpm compared to what you were at 60 mph or so. Stick with the 17 tooth countershaft sprocket regardless of what you decide on for the rear as smaller countershaft sprockets will not have a great enough diameter for the chain to clear the swingarm without the chain being overtightened. My preference is 17 front and 45 or 47 rear.

Earl

Originally posted by rotax21
            Thanks for the replys. What I wanted to do was put a little taller gear on my bike. When I started looking for a new gear on Bike Bandit, I saw they were selling the 530 chain conversion and the only gears they mentioned were 17-43. My thought was this must be a popular conversion, since that is the only gear ratio they mentioned.

Thanks again,
            Lee
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Earl,

Thanks. That is what I was looking for was to drop some RPM on the freeway and still have enough pull off the bottom end.

Lee

Comment

Working...
              X