Update; rebuilding a GS1100G '82 in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update; rebuilding a GS1100G '82 in Florida

First I want to thank all that helped me in the beggining.
    I was going to start by re-threading a crossthreaded spark plug socket. The bike stopped charging so I ordered a new stator from the Bike Bandit and installed it. That was after checking everything as described on the Clymer Manual. Well, it was showing a voltage of 12.32 at 5k rpm no-load test.
    After replacing the stator it is showing only 13.67 on a minimum of 14. Is the no-load suppose to be done without any lights on? How do I turn them off?
    Well, it is raining in Orlando now but I still took the bike for a roadtest. After 20 minutes it started fine.
    Now I have to find a gasket for the left and right engine covers. I didn't replace the old ones and used a silicone based gasket maker. What the heck, I wasn't going to wait! it is not leaking much.

After a few days, if it charges fine, I am going to start with the engine. BTW, the gears inside the engine look great, not bad for a 23 years old bike.

Should I replace the Reg/Rect too?, What about all the electrical harnest?

Thanks in advance!

First hang on to your old stator. Go to the In the garage section on this sites web page and go through the stator papers. It will let you know about your R/R.

In all honesty, as often as not charging problems are due to bad connections but I have replaced stators also.

Do a search and you will get lots of info about cheaper aproaches to the r/r replacement.

Hang in there

Comment

charging system voltage is dependant on the state of charge of the battery.
      13.67 is ok and odds are it will rise on up to the 14 volt point as the battery reaches full charge.

Comment

Thanks!
        You won't believe how happy I am with the work done so far.
        The bike kicks like brand new now and it is steadily charging.
        The only problem I am getting is stalling on idle. It sounds more like I need to juice up the carburator just a liiiiiiittle bit. Other than that, I am ready to fix the ignition coil system and re-thread the spark plug socket.

As for the old stator, I wouldn't keep it other than to rewire it. I found a broken cable that the previous owner tried to repair, obviously with no luck. hehehe, he used electrical tape and did a bypass of some sort. I guess too cheap to weld it, better yet, buy a new one.

jrs

Comment

Working...
        X