Fuel Flow Spec?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Flow Spec?

Any idea what the fuel flow at WOT is for my GS?

If you can tell me how many miles you can go on a gallon at WOT and what that speed is, I can tell you your fuel flow within a percent or so.

Actually, I can make the determination for any specific amount of fuel... Say a quart even... but by the law of averages, the larger the amount of fuel used, the more accurate the solution.

Regardless of the amounts, it's simply a math problem solved by reducing all quantities involved to their smallest common denominators

To be sure, it will be quite difficult I believe, to make a WOT run to see how far you can go, or to keep your eyes open to read the speedo... but the alternative is to make a chart of several runs. Use a gallon of fuel each run, and do them at equally increasing throttle amounts... 1/4 throttle, 1/2 throttle & 3/4 throttle. You should be able to create a fairly accurate graph curve that will estimate your WOT run, without actually having to perform it. The local law enforcement authorities may be pleased with that effort

In any event, this query has piqued my interest now, and I think I'm going to create an Excel? spreadsheet that anyone can simply enter a mileage and a speed into, and obtain a fuel flow result. More on this shortly

Ok, I have a nice simple spreadsheet that will allow a user to enter 3 variables... fuel qty used, mileage traveled and average speed. You will be provided 4 fuel flow results, but basically the same information. Gallons per hour, Gallons per minute, Ounces per Hour, & Ounces per minute. Use whichever answer makes more sense to you.

PM me if you desire the spreadsheet, and if enough interest is shown, I'll see if Frank can post it somewhere for download.

Comment

It will vary according to engine rpm and when you shift. Why do you ask? Are you having fuel starvation problems?

Comment

I guess I should rephrase my question. Does anyone know what the maximum fuel flow is on my bike? I am converting my fuel shut off to a solenoid valve and need to know what the Cv rating for the valve should be.

Gary

Comment

Why don't you measure the flow rate for your stock valve on prime - measure how much fuel passes in 30s or so. I don't think that you'd want to go below that rate.

You can also check out the pingles - they state their max flow rate, which is far greater than most of us will ever need.

Does anyone know the reason why solenoid valves aren't stock on bikes?

Comment

[quote="Mr. Jiggles"]Why don't you measure the flow rate for your stock valve on prime - measure how much fuel passes in 30s or so. I don't think that you'd want to go below that rate.

You can also check out the pingles - they state their max flow rate, which is far greater than most of us will ever need.

Does anyone know the reason why solenoid valves aren't stock on bikes?[/quote]
            Probably cost.

Comment

Working...
            X