I checked my electrolyte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I checked my electrolyte

with a hydrometer and it checked fully charged and 3/4 charged. My bike is requiring a jump start every time it's been sitting for several hours. What gives ? I hooked up a multi meter to the red lead on the solenoid and a ground of course but it's noot showing me any volts. I got the multi meter on the correct setting. DC volts 20. and the leads 10 adc (red) and common (black)

Yes

while the engine is running . My Tachometer recently quick working I unhooked the cables from the tack and engine and hooked back up again. Still don't work . LOL

Comment

Hi Adam,

If your battery voltage is dropping despite riding regularly, it could be a current leak, it could be a bad battery or the charging system is not working properly.
      If your battery voltage is fine but cannot start your bike then I can't help you, but there are loads of GS folk that can.

You can check if there are any current leaks by:
      - taking the red lead off the battery (+).
      - Using a multi-meter test for current (amps) between the battery pole and the red lead when the bike is off. If there are amps when ht bike is off, you have a current leak and it may be any number of malfunctioning components/connections which are the cause of the leak.

Cheers,

David.

Comment

so .....

I just checked it with my numbered hydrometer from mac tools some guy just gave a link too . because the clymer manual says to use one numbered from 1.100 to 1.300 rather than one numbereed 1l4 to full u kno. And my battery charge is in the low range (basically 1.101-1.199 range) 1.200 is fair on this tool. My clymer manual says anything below 1.225 is practically dead. SO it's low according to my good tool and practically dead according to my clymer. BUT WHAT YOURE SAYING IS DISCONNECT THE WIRES FROM THE POSITIVE TERMINAL AND WITH THE ENGINE OFF AND KEY COMPLETELY OFF PUT THE BLACK PROBE OF MULTIMETER TO THE - NEGATIVE TERMINAL OF THE BATTERY AND THE RED PROBE VMA TO THE POSITIVE BATTERY TERMINAL AND CHECK FOR VOLTAGE OR AMPS. IF I GET AMPS THEN THERE IS LEAK RIGHT ? AND IF THERE ARE NONE THEN I HAVE A BAD BATTERY ? IS THAT RIGHT ?

Comment

BUT WHAT YOURE SAYING IS DISCONNECT THE WIRES FROM THE POSITIVE TERMINAL AND WITH THE ENGINE OFF AND KEY COMPLETELY OFF

Yes.

PUT THE BLACK PROBE OF MULTIMETER TO THE - NEGATIVE TERMINAL OF THE BATTERY AND THE RED PROBE VMA TO THE POSITIVE BATTERY TERMINAL AND CHECK FOR VOLTAGE OR AMPS.
          No.
          Disconnect red lead (wire) from positive battery terminal.
          Connect Red MM lead to battery positive terminal.
          Connect Black MM lead to the red lead (wire ).
          Check for current.

IF I GET AMPS THEN THERE IS LEAK RIGHT ?
          Yes.
          AND IF THERE ARE NONE THEN I HAVE A BAD BATTERY ? IS THAT RIGHT ?
          I would say uncharged battery or charging system.

Cheers,

David.

[/quote]

Comment

I

COULDNT FIGURE OUT . oh well. I'll take to the mechanic .

Comment

Adam, turn off the key switch. Disconnect the hot cable from the battery. Take your two probes from your volt-ohm-meter and connect one probe to the disconnected hot cable terminal, and the other probe to the hot post on the battery. All you're going to do is bridge the opening between the hot cable and the hot post with your meter. The polarity of your probes at this point isn't critical. All you're trying to do is see if there's ANY voltage reading on your meter. If there is voltage reading between the disconnected cable and bettery post... you have some type of drain or short circuit. If there is NO voltage reading, your wiring circuit is ok, and you need to look seriously at the battery itself or the charging system.

If proper polarity makes your palms sweaty, connect the black probe to the battery hot (positive) post, and the red probe to the hot (Positive) cable terminal. This will make any voltage reading positive, but like I mentioned, for this test, it simply doesn't matter. positive or negative voltage is a sign of a short circuit or drain.

Comment

It fires up

every time is how often it fires up.

Comment

Just go buy yourself a new battery You need one

Comment

Yeah i'll need one 1day

but it fires up every time now. I'll wait till it won't take me SOMEWHERE.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                      Just go buy yourself a new battery You need one
                      I'll second this. You never said how old your battery is. General battery life is 2 years, though there are those that get more life out of them. It's a relatively cheap fix and won't leave you stranded.

"but it fires up every time now. I'll wait till it won't take me SOMEWHERE."

The only bad thing about this idea is that it could leave you stranded. As I stated before, a new battery is cheap insurance.

Brad tt

Comment

I'll compromise

I'll just put myself in the market for a battery. The bike had a new battery when I bought less than two years ago.

Comment

Working...
                        X