GS1000 Clutch Chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Clutch Chatter

Hi guys can any one help with my 79 GS1000L that has a clutch chatter on idle, whats the cause, is it a worn needle bearing or something else.
    Cheers Tony :?

Could be your clutch springs, idle too low, carbs slightly out of synch.....
    Quite a few little things can give you the rattle at idle.
    I synched my carbs and adjusted the idle and my rattle went away, even with 40,000 on the stock motor
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Loose center nut or worn out springs in the backplate if your carbs are synched allright.

Comment

Hi Guys thanks for the replies, had the clutch apart checked backing plate springs, they have been replaced with heavier ones, I know my carbs(vm29s) are out of synch so I will get them right and see what happens
        Cheers tony

Comment

Originally posted by KIWI GS1000L
          Hi Guys thanks for the replies, had the clutch apart checked backing plate springs, they have been replaced with heavier ones, I know my carbs(vm29s) are out of synch so I will get them right and see what happens
          Cheers tony
          That should do it, I have some room around my springs and get a rattle if I go below 1100 rpm so I keep it a little higher untill I take care of it. And I love my 29's!

Comment

clutch chatter

I had a similar problem on my 78gs 1000. There was a noticeable rattle when it idled on the sidestand. No rattle when it was on the centre stand. I think it was caused by the oil depth covering the clutch when it was upright,and it sounding loud when on the sidestand because the oil was all on the left side.
            Check this first. The springs on the clutch plate all rattle a bit from wear-I don't think it is serious, but it sounds like it is until one figures it out.

Comment

Working...
            X