Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel valve not flowing

Hi

I am restoring a 80 1100e and the fuel will not flow out of the petcock in "prime" position(1.5 gallons in the tank). I can't get the fuel to flow in "on" position while cranking either. I have only gotten fuel out by drawing vaccum with my mouth on the vaccum line. I disassembled the valve and all appears well, but I still can't get fuel to the carbs to start the bike.
    Has any one gone to some other type of non-Vaccum valve, or should I buy a new one from Suzuki.

Thanks for the help
    Drew

Try Pingle. They make a good looking, quality product. You can find them on the internet. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Could be a clog in the carbs where the vaccumm is supposed to come from. Sounds like the petcock is working ok, at least to some degree...

Not sure if you had the vaccuum off or you got it with none of the hoses attached, but you can suck on the petcock's hose for vaccum to supply fuel until it starts and you should hear the sucking from the carbs. It works I have done it. if you get it running and never hear the sucking sound I bet its clogged.

***edit... baaad spelling errors ***

Comment

I would go with a pingle. They are about the same cost or less than Suzuki and they eliminate that vacuum problem that we tend to have after awhile.

The other question is when was the last time the carbs were cleaned? Also check the tubes between the carbs, They can get junk in them

Comment

A rebuild kit for the petcock can be had for less than $30, if you want to stick with stock. The Pingel taps are really nice though.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thank Guys. You're amazing.
            I went with the pingel, It on its way from wisconsin. It needed an adapter plate and the valve, total $85.
            I took the Carbs off and found that it has 45 pilots and 138 mains. The bike has a vance and hines 4 into 1 exhaust and 4 individual cone filters(velocity stack type) I haven't fired it up since I got it (2 weeks ago)and wonder if I should go down on the mains. I want to rebuild the carbs, get the pigel installed and fire it up. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
            X