tanks off....now what!!!!!. is their a mechanic in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tanks off....now what!!!!!. is their a mechanic in the house

i took the tank off but still can barely see the fuel hose connected to the carbs. does something else need to come off or what.I dont have 12" long fingers too get the hose off and back on nor do I want to spent 2 hours doing it!!! There has to be a simple way.

There really is no easy way. To access the opposite end of the hose, at least the airbox needs to be removed, and possibly the carbs.

SV

Comment

If you remove the carbs, how can you get the fuel hose connected?

What you need to do is put the tank on and have someone hold it up slightly, so you can finagle your hands in there to get to the hose.

~Adam

Comment

Remove it by using a pair of needle nose pliers to open the clamp. you can also use a screwdriver to loosen teh wire clamp.

Pull the hose off.

To install the new one slip the hose into a larger piece of hose. This provides a stronger support for the hose and allows you to push it onto the nipple. Spray wire clamp down and your done.

That is how I changed mine last month.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
          To install the new one slip the hose into a larger piece of hose. This provides a stronger support for the hose and allows you to push it onto the nipple. Spray wire clamp down and your done.

That is how I changed mine last month.
          I did pretty much the same thing only I put a long thing screwdriver inside the fuel hose to the carbs and used that for support while swearing at myself for forgetting to put it on with the carbs out....

/\/\ac

Comment

getting more room

you also have the vaccuum line to the petcock. And the vent line for the tank. And if you have a fuel gauge, those wires need disconnecting.

After grappling with the small space-big hands problem too many times, I finally installed fuel and vaccuum line hoses about an inch longer than stock. Provides a little more space to work with.

Cost about $1, even buying from dealer. Old lines were 23 years old, no doubt due for a change anyway. And now they are translucent blue, matches the paint plus you can see if fuel flows or not. Trick or what?

Comment

I have the tank off I just didnt want to pull the air filter housing off but I think I can get it with needle nose and some luck.Too bad they didnt put it in an easy to get to spot!

Comment

Working...
              X