No announcement yet.

Burning out the Headlight Low Beam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the replies. I bought a multi-meter, but haven't been able to test anything yet. I did replace the bulb, and found a yellow wire in there that had the insulation scraped off down to the copper on one side (btw, the two bolts on the sides of the headlight assembly seem secure).

As time permits, I'll run those electrical tests per "The Stator Papers", Clymer, and you all's suggestions. Thanks for the help.

Mike

Comment

I recently had an issue with my 750B which was similar.

It ended up being a broken wire on the regulator, and some corrosion on the other connectors.

There was originally a set of wires that had plugs on each end (extensions??) about 2 inches long. I dittched them and wired them so there was only one set of connections.

One wire was damaged slightly and didnt go all the way into the connector.

Since I discovered the proiblem, I remade my battery leads with soldered ends, and soldered the wire into every connector on my bike so its less likely to develop corrosion between the wire and the connector, and I also used vaseline on every connector when I plugged them together.

Ive had no issues since I did this.

Comment

Re: Burning out the Headlight Low Beam

[quote="Jackrp"]
        Originally posted by JMHJ
        Nice garage-kept '83 GS850L, with about 9k. I've had it for a little over a month, and just burned out the headlight tonight - for the second time. Is it a fluke, or do I possibly have an electrical problem? It was cold the first time it happened, maybe 20s, but it was about 45 tonight. Both times it burned out at or shortly after I turned the key on/started it up.

Thanks for any idea
        My 850 was blowing thru bulbs once, turned out the headlite bucket to ears bolts were loose, Check those 2 bolts
        My bucket to ears bolts were snug and I was blowing bulbs. Loosened them up and put two thicknesses of old inner tube in for isolation on each side. The bucket is just tight enough to keep the adjustment. But, I noticed that the light is jumping around on the road, not noticeable when driving alone, but noticeable when following a truck or trailer. I don't mind, makes semi-comatose cagers wake up. I've seen other bikes with this condition and it does make them less invisible. BTW, no blown bulb for over 6000 miles now.

Comment

Working...
        X