Leaky brake fluid resevoir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky brake fluid resevoir

This is an 82 GS550L which has the rectangular front resevoir. I noticed that it leaks fluid.

Is it a simple replacement of the gasket (with the expanding rubber bladder) or should I rebuild the master cylinder.

Is it normal for some fluid to squirt our from the master (back into the resevoir) when I squeeze the lever?

The front brake seems to work ok. Probably needs a new hose.

You may need a new cover They warp sometime & then will not seal.
    A bubble when moving the lever is normal

Comment

Re: Leaky brake fluid resevoir

Originally posted by DimitriT
      This is an 82 GS550L which has the rectangular front resevoir. I noticed that it leaks fluid.

Is it a simple replacement of the gasket (with the expanding rubber bladder) or should I rebuild the master cylinder.

Is it normal for some fluid to squirt our from the master (back into the resevoir) when I squeeze the lever?

The front brake seems to work ok. Probably needs a new hose.
      Hey, I have a brand new rectangular resevoir with the cap, rubber and o-ring. I haven't had it a month. Check your PM.
      Fwiw, I changed out the master cyl to the older round type 'cause the piston was leaking on mine. I thought it was the resevoir too but...Nope.

Comment

So I made a gasket for it out of some cork/rubber material. I cut it out using an x-acto knife and the results were pretty good. I also went back and read some old posts on bleeding the brakes. This time I tried compressing the caliper using an big C-clamp. Sure enough a bunch of bubbly brake fluid came out when I released the bleed nozzle. I bled out about a resevior's full of fluid and then release the clamp and pumped the master cylinder until I had pressure back through the system. The results are good: less drag on the wheel and the springiness in the lever is gone. Action now is smoother with a little more travel in the lever. The resevior leak is also fixed.

BTW, I was worried the brake fluid would eat this gasket material. So I experimented by cutting a piece and putting it in a small pyrex dish with some fluid. I then let it sit in a warm place for a couple of nights. No visible change in either the fluid or the material but I plan on opening up the resevior in a few months to check on it. This is the same stuff I used to fix my leaky gas cap.

Comment

Just make sure the cork is cut really clean. It doesn't take much to clog the tiny return feed into the resevoir.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
          X