stripped screw on stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped screw on stator

all the screws that attached the stator to the stator cover are stripped on my bike. am i screwed and have to get a whole new cover and stator and wire? or is there anyway to get them out

Can you grind off the screws heads? After you've pulled the stator you would have some long studs left over to remove with vice grips. (Take in mind I haven't seen how the stator is attached)

If you can't figure out how to get it appart take it in to a shop to have them extracted.

Steve

Comment

Before you do anything drastic, check the tools you are using...if it hand-held screwdrivers you cannot win.

If they were installed properly, the bolts are held with Loctite, or something similar, and you need a hammer-driver to get them out.

The bit for the hammer driver is not an exact match for the philips slot and the point will allow you to drive the bit into the bolt, and then it will turn. If the bolt head is just a mess, try using a pin punch of the same diameter as the bolt head to flatten it enough to partly fill the cavity, then try the hammer driver.

Do NOT use any high heat.

When you are ready to reassemble the unit, be certain the stator retaining bolt holes are clean and dry, then use two drops of Loctite on them. Use BLUE Loctite and double check to make sure it is BLUE. Do NOT use red.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

i used ez out and drilled holes in the screws and used a backwards threaded bit but it doesn't work. when ever i get it in good the tap wrench doesnt grip

Comment

I feel the need to vent! WHO DESIGNED PHILIPS SCREWS? AND! AND! WHO DECIDED THEY SHOULD HOLD EVERYTHING TOGETHER ON MY BIKE?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Clone
            I feel the need to vent! WHO DESIGNED PHILIPS SCREWS? AND! AND! WHO DECIDED THEY SHOULD HOLD EVERYTHING TOGETHER ON MY BIKE?!?
            Interesting query. I asked it many years ago and, as I recall the answer, credit for the proliferation of these things should go to General Motors. They did not invent them, but because GM was so big and used so many, the idea and their use was looked at very seriously by other companies, such as Ford, as well as other industries.

Ironically, they were invented for use in production where they were excellent because the driver would slip before breaking the screw, or stripping the head.

(You may have an electric drywall screwdriver with an automatic clutch in your home today, but nothing like this existed at that time)

Production was sped up and additional time and money were saved in not having to remove as many broken bolts/screws, so no one cared that they might be near impossible to remove after they had been in place for a while.

Change costs money and once industry was converted to their use, and everyone geared to use them, no one would change. Most still haven't, even though there are better head designs and better drivers available.

Part two:

You are sometimes stuck with using them. You cannot use anything else on your stator assembly because there is no tolerance for a larger head, or even a lock washer. That is partly why you must use Loctite blue, even if you set them with a hammer driver.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
            X