Oil leaking from the drive axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leaking from the drive axle

I acquired a 1980 GS450. It is leaking oil from where the drive axle comes from the transmission. It is a chain drive bike.

Will I need to disassemble the engine to fix the leak, or can I replace the seal without disassembling the engine?

Thanks

If it is leaking the most likley suspect is item # 22 under the clutch assembly http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm
    Clutch push rod seal pn 09283-06002

Comment

It appears the list of parts are not accessable without breaking the cases apart.

Is that the case?

Comment

The diagram is miss leading!!! The clutch push rod is under the chain sprocket cover & hour's repair should fix it

Comment

Search for Clutch AND push AND rod AND 450

there was another thread on here about that . Good chance to try out and learn how to use the search feature
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

If I remember correctly, I also changed the seal on the gear shift axle when I had this problem. But I second that it is the clutch pushrod seal which is the problem

Comment

Oil Leak from Drive side

I had the same leak on my '79 GS400. Ordered all the seals at one time so I wouldn't be caught short. Total cost about $20.00 from Bike Bandit. Cleaned out all the crud from the cavity and then ran the bike around town.
              And it was the seal around the clutch engage rod. Took about an hour to do the job.
              The only trouble I had was getting the seal out. You can't get a puller into the space. So, I drilled a hole in the face of the seal - VERY CAREFULLY. The face of the seal is metal and you do have to put some pressure on it but there isn't a lot of space behind the seal when the bit goes through - screwed in a wood screw and grabbed it with a pair of pliers. It came right out.
              Make sure there aren't any metal chips in the cavity. Then I took a socket about the same size as the outside diameter of the seal and tapped it in. It helps if you can get a deep socket on it - I had to stack a couple fo short ones to get it to work. As in any situation, work slowly and methodically. Don't get the seal cockeyed and it will go right in. Don't be alarmed by the rubber shavings that may appear around the outside edge of the seal. This isn't under any great pressure from behind and it won't pop out.

Comment

Great Help

Thanks everyone for the input. I was worried I had to tear the engine out of the frame and dissassemble the entire engine.

I tried the search, but couldn't find a thread as detailed about the leak as this one.

I'll check it out this weekend.

Comment

Same Problem here

Hi Everyone, I have a Suzuki GS 550 E 80'
                  Same oil leak problem.
                  As I can see, 3 axles come out from the engine in the side the oil leak is.
                  Gear axle, sprocket axle and clutch axle.
                  I can't buy the complete oil seals kit because this product is not available here. Does anyone know the mesarure of each oil seal? Is there any other problem that might happend when i remove the cover, or something else to change?
                  I'm asking this because I use the bike to go to work every day, I have to buy the spare parts before disassembling the bike.
                  I have searched over the Hainess manual, but those manuals are specific for nothing more than loosing time.:?
                  Thanks!

Comment

Their is a way to identify the seals from the part # but I don't remember
                    clutch push rod seal 09283-06001
                    sprocket seal 09283-32014
                    shifter seal 09162-08005

Comment

gearshift seal torn and stuck some inside

i just buy gs700 and it leaks on the gearshift
                      so i try to pop out this gearshift seal, however it tears a part
                      i think the previous owner glue this seal
                      the outer diameter seal stuck in the crankcase
                      i'm out of idea how to clean this ...
                      without cleaning out properly this stuffed left over seal,
                      new seal cannot be put in all the way
                      anybody helppp....

Comment

Originally posted by Sprockets
                        Does anyone know the mesarure of each oil seal?
                        If you go to BikeBandit.com you can look up the parts on their system and the seal sizes will probably be listed. It was with mine.

Sizes are in three numbers, inner dia / outer dia / thickness.

Kim

Comment

Working...
                        X