Need Turn Signal Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Turn Signal Help

Okay, I recently bought a 91 Katana 750 as my second bike (LOVE my 81 GS450) and I have have been having some turn signal problems that I would like any suggestions on. The bike basically came without any turn signals on the bike, but the wiring is in place. I bought 4 aftermarket signals and here is what I have so far.

I have the two rear signals hooked up only and when I click the turn signal, the light on that side will do one of three things: It will either stay constantly lit (no blinking), it will blink one or two times slowly then turn off, or it will blink very slowly (stay lit for about 4 sec each blink).

If I hook up the front turn signals in addition to the rears none of them will work. I am my wits end with this thing and I really don't want to go tearing apart the entire wiring harness. Any further suggestions before I bite the bullet and take this thing to a shop? Thanks.

Joe

You are probably using aftermarket short stalks or ?? They do not draw enough current for the flasher to work. Easiest fix is an electronic flasher
    available at any auto parts store

Comment

Is the bike running when you try them? If not, try again with motor running.

Comment

I bought a set of aftermarket short stalk signals for the rear and a set of flush mount signals for the front. They are pretty much the same as these ones on ebay:

Rear - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAT-E...4768QQtcZphoto

and

Front - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...7960QQtcZphoto

That would possibly explain why they didn't flash, but why in the world does nothing work if I hook up all four signals, but the rears light up if I hook up only the rears??

Joe

Comment

well, weirdest things. I noticed that if I revved the bike the blinkers in the back started working more correctly. Took it for a spin and they were doing pretty well the whole trip. So when I got back I hooked up the front two again and they all worked! Not sure what it was that went wrong, but i'm not going to be messing with it anytime soon unless it stops working again.

Comment

I've seen turn signals do some truly weird things. Some things to consider:

1. Make sure that all stalks are grounded, if possible mount them the way they'll be installed. Don't simply connect the wires and leave the stalks hanging. If necessary, add a temporary ground to each stalk to make sure you have a good connection.

2. make sure and have a bulb/stalk connected front and back on the side you're testing. If you only have one bulb in, sometimes the system won't blink or will blink slowly.

3. Verify that the wiring colors are the same front & rear. If the stalks/signals are of different manufacturers, the same color wires may be available at both units, but the actual wire connections may be opposite from each other. In effect, you may have a power wire to bulb-ground at one stalk, and power to bulb-filament on the other, the result is nothing works. To check for this, connect the stalks front and rear with the bulbs removed... turn the signal on and check for positive voltage at the center post (should be positive) and the receptacle housing (should be ground).

Comment

Working...
            X