What part is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What part is this?

Today when I took the seat off of my 450l I got a better look at this part that is attached behind the seat with a black plastic cover over it. It has hoses running into it on both sides (one of which was disconnected) and seems to say Akkam 6BJ. I can't quite tell where the hoses go without taking the tank off. Do you guys know what this is?

Thanks,
    Scott

New Info: I took the part off the bike for a closer look. It seems to have something dried up inside of it. A few drops of clear fluid came out. Smells a little bit like gas. Perhaps its some sort of reserve? I don't think this came standard because I don't see anything like it in pictures of other 450s.

a year model would be helpfull!

there is a california version of the 86 GS450L that has a carbon canister.

odds are this is what you are seeing.

it is a emisions control device and hooks up to a vent line on the tank and a vacume line on the carbs.

Comment

A picture would be helpful also.

Comment

Ya gotta post a prize for the first person with the correct answer too. 8O

Comment

Is it a California bike? Sounds like a charcoal canister, part of an emissions system. If it is fumes from the tank go into the canister and get filtered before being drawn back into the intake at some point. At least thats how it works on a car.

/\/\ac

P.s. For my prize I'll take the '94 GSXR forks.... no, wait... I'll take the balloon... no... the forks, the forks for sure.

Comment

it is an '86 and it is a California bike. sorry, i would have put a pic with the post but i don't have a digital camera. the carbon canister explanattion seems to make sense. so it probably doesn't really need to be there?

and the prize is a...Thank You

Comment

Is this it?

Comment

yep...thats it. thanks for the help guys.

Comment

I would consider converting it to a 49 state model if you don't live on the Left Coast. That is just one more thing to go wrong and it probably wastes fuel. Bikes don't polute all that much unless the engines are shot, the extreme regulations they have in California arenot applicable to the rest of us.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                  X