'8 750E Carb Pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'8 750E Carb Pull

Rec'd my (Haynes)manual recently, and need to pull the carbs on my GS750E, float stuck..hopefully.
    And hopefully the book doesn't have too much of.."refer to Suzuki dealer for this issue" :x
    Are there any tricks to this to make life easier or to prevent that PRiiing, Pring...Ping....sound as a small part flies off (You heard it land, bounce, land again... but it's vanished) or remove Airbox from the right......With your four hands twenty seven fingers and a crowbar or push a 2" rubber into a 1" hole...( 8O eh,,No never mind that one)

If the " '8 " in your message is supposed to be '78, then the VM carb rebuild guide that has been posted in the Garage http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm should help. It covers some carb removal steps. Getting them off is pretty straightforward. The main problem is if the rubber boots are really stiff, but on the '78 750 no special tricks are generally required.

If the " '8 " is supposed to be '80, or '81, etc, then I believe it can be a little more challenging, but I have no firsthand experience.

Good luck

Comment

If the '8 is an '80, then I have LOTS of experience. It is critical that all clamps are loose (airbox and engine side), you must take the air cleaner box off completely and take the two screws out that hold the airbox in place. Remove the throttle and choke cables (the throttle cable is easy to take off completely after you remove the carbs form the boots and rotate them up). Also remove the vacuum hose for the petcock and the hose from the gas tank sending unit.

Then...............wrestle them out any way you can....I usually twist the engine side up and the airbox side of the carbs down then slide them out the left side, sitting on the bike, ( the only reason I say the left is because the wire that keeps the clutch cable out of the way will hang up if you try to remove it out the right side.

Getting them back in is a whole different ball game.....lots of beer helps and getting used to the fact that it will take at least two to three times longer then it was to get them out. Make sure, as before, that all clamps are loose to the point of falling off before attempting, then muscle them in to postition from the right side this time ( it seems to work easier when you put them back in on the side that the starter motor is not on....at least it appears as if they will actually go into place easier..... the wire seems to get messed up a little when installing, nothing much you can do about this I am afraid), I then line up the engine side boots of the carbs first, and install them, then get the airbox side next. One other point is that the boots attached to the engine side will rotate, do not worry, after you get the carbs in that side then rotate the boots on the individual carbs to align them correctly AT THIS TIME CLAMP THE BOOTS INTO PLACE ON THE ENGINE SIDE BEFORE ATTEMPING TO PUT THE AIRBOX SIDE ON. After you have attached the airbox side then tighten those clamps and then put the two screws that hold the airbox into place, then install the air cleaner.

Hopes this helps....especially if you are inquiring about a 1980 GS 750E.

Scud

Comment

222222222222222, It' works now.

It's an '82
        Will follow details as suggested.
        I also have some Honda 4's and they are also a B*** to get in. Slow deep breaths, Patients (No spares available due to brute force.) and I also find that some boiling water helps to keep the rubbers pliable enough to get them on.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X