Oil Cooler: Keep it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Cooler: Keep it?

The GS1100E I'm after has an oil cooler from an 84 GS1150 installed on it. He originally put it on because the bike was in Texas for a few years and thought it would need the extra cooling.

The only problem is the system was originally not made with a cooler, so the inlet to the oil filter area is not restricted, meaning it won't force oil to flow through the cooler (less restrictive) on its way back to the oil filter. This means the cooler is really not doing anything...and he confirmed it really never gets that hot.

The bike has an oil temp gauge, so my question is, should I try to get it to work, or just remove the hardware, as it needs new banjo bolt washers because they are leaking?

My 550 came from the midwest and ran fine without an oil cooler since I've owned it. I figured the same practice of using synthetic oil and regular changes would be okay if I didn't have the cooler on the bike.

What are your thoughts?

~Adam

My own philosophy is that less parts means less things that can go wrong. If the bike was engineered to run without an oil cooler, than run without it.

Comment

Then again, all you need is the oil filter cover from a GS1150 (around 30 bucks at Ron Ayers) and the oil cooler would work right.

Comment

It's not the cover that I need, but the actual oil filter shaft with the smaller inlet.

Comment

I'm confused Adam, what are you saying you need?

For an oil cooler mod on an 1100E using the stock 1150 cooler (which is what I have), all you need is the cooler itself, the lines with banjo fittings and hardware, and the filter cover from an 1150. The oil filter cover restricts most of the flow from the filter and moves it through the cooler instead. The inlet port is restricted by the cover iteself, not the oil inlet shaft.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I think someone showed how to modify the older covers to allow an oil cooler to be used, in a previous post. It may have been someone from OZ. Ray
            "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
            GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
            1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
            1979 GS1000SN The new hope
            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I've wondered about this, ever since I been visiting this site. This is the only place I've heard, that for an oil cooler to work properly on a GS 1100 E, you needed a filter cover from a GS 1150. Before 1984, there were no 1150's nor 1150 filter covers. The 1100 engines were drilled & tapped for the oil cooler fittings, & many of them had coolers installed, I've had 3 and all of them have had coolers on them. If this is true, all the oil coolers installed on the 1100 E's pre 1984 were just wasted money, cause none of these folks could have installed an 1150 filter cover. Did Suzuki realize in 1984 that the oil coolers the 1100 E engines were drilled & tapped for, in 1980 thru 1983, wouldn't work unless they changed the filter covers. I have used Lockhart & Durale coolers, and these companies didn't try to sell nor offer a modified cover. Just trying to figure this out.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If this is true, all the oil coolers installed on the 1100 E's pre 1984 were just wasted money, cause none of these folks could have installed an 1150 filter cover.

Scroll about halfway down. This is the article I consulted to make sure my oil cooler mod was right.

The 1100E and 1150E filter covers are interchangable. I bought mine at BikeBandit for about $30.

Adam, you need nothing more than either a plug or an 1150 filter cover.
                Currently bikeless
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks Jethro, that is a very good article & explains the system very well. I guess I didn't think Suzuki would be looking that far ahead, to install the passages for the oil coolers in 1980, knowing they wouldn't be going to use them till 1984 and would need to redesign their filter cover at that time. Do you rekon Suzuki already had these filter covers on the shelf in 1980 when these engines hit the market. They shouldn't have kept them secret, they could have sold tons of them. And to think I paid extra for a cooler with a thermostat that would slow the flow of oil, when the oil wasn't flowing enough anyway. Thanks a lot for the imfo.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
                    I've wondered about this, ever since I been visiting this site. This is the only place I've heard, that for an oil cooler to work properly on a GS 1100 E, you needed a filter cover from a GS 1150. Before 1984, there were no 1150's nor 1150 filter covers. The 1100 engines were drilled & tapped for the oil cooler fittings, & many of them had coolers installed, I've had 3 and all of them have had coolers on them. If this is true, all the oil coolers installed on the 1100 E's pre 1984 were just wasted money, cause none of these folks could have installed an 1150 filter cover. Did Suzuki realize in 1984 that the oil coolers the 1100 E engines were drilled & tapped for, in 1980 thru 1983, wouldn't work unless they changed the filter covers. I have used Lockhart & Durale coolers, and these companies didn't try to sell nor offer a modified cover. Just trying to figure this out.
                    I installed a Derale oil cooler on my 1980 GS1100ET back in the 80's. The kit came with a "Derale Filter Cover" which I installed per their instructions (which I still have). The stock filter cover was removed (I still have it too).

Comment

Geoff, thanks for the links and info that explains what I was told by the owner (he's a bright guy). I guess I just had the part mixed up in my head.

Hmmn...so now the question is to buy the cover and fix the leak or just pull it all off???

Comment

The Lockhart oil cooler kit I bought for my '83 GS1100 many years ago came with a new cover. I would definitely keep the oil cooler. There is no doubt that it makes a difference. The bike takes noticeably longer to warm up and runs 10-20 degrees cooler according to the oil temp gauge. It certainly won't hurt your engine and will probably help it.

Thanks,
                        Joe
                        IBA# 24077
                        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                          Geoff, thanks for the links and info that explains what I was told by the owner (he's a bright guy). I guess I just had the part mixed up in my head.

Hmmn...so now the question is to buy the cover and fix the leak or just pull it all off???
                          I would opt to try to get it working Adam. They help in many ways. Not just keeping the engine itself cooler but also keeping the oil cooler helps prevent break down in the oil. Oil coolers are a good thing.

Comment

For what it is worth, my indicated oil temps have changed zero since I put the cooler on. No change whatsoever. My oil temps average 180 when it is chilly outside, and 190-200 when it is hot amd I'm beating on it. That is not to say the gauge is correct however. It is definitely getting oil flow.

I'd still fix it Adam. They are kind of neat to have.
                            Currently bikeless

Comment

Until now, I didn't know the difference in the filter covers, Now that I know, I will be looking closely at the next oil change, maybe mine does have the restricted cover or plug, and I didn't know it. If my 83 1100 E doesn't have a restricted cover or a plug in the passage, I will be getting one one or the other. With the cooler working properly, there should be nothing negative about having the cooler. Should be a benefit or at worst no benefit, sure couldn't hurt anything. Thanks for all ya'lls help.

Comment

Working...
                              X