• Show
Clear All

OIL COOLER KEEP IT OR NOT

EVEN IF IT DOESN'T WORK 100%
    ANY % OF INCREASE IN COOLING IS BETTER
    PLUS HOW MUCH MORE OIL WILL IT HOLD
    1QT 2QT'S ?

Comment

I can see oil coolers being useful on a race bike. But on a street bike, the way most people ride them, the most important thing is to change your oil when you're supposed to and get the right oil.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

When I got my '80 GS1100ET, my normal highway cruising speed was 90 MPH over long distances.

I doubt that many people bought the world's fastest accelerating production road vehicle (at the time) to ride them in a sedate manner.

Since they were usually ridden hard, oil temperature was known to be a potential concern with this air cooled ultra high performance engine. I believe this is why Suzuki finally added the OEM oil coolers in 1984, and ultimately redesigned the engine to use enhanced oil/air cooling in lieu of air or water cooling.

Comment

For most temperate climates, I think an oil-cooler could well be overkill, as Keith suggests.

So when could installing one be worth the trouble and money?
          (i) If your engine is 'hotted up', eg. bored out, free-breathing exhaust, modified cams, etc. etc. For these engines the standard cooling arrangement may not be enough, so an oil-cooler could definitely help.
          (ii) If you live in a hot climate. Here in Australia the summers BAKE... as they would in the southern states of the USA, I suspect. Anything that can help our air-cooled engines cope, has to be a good thing.
          (iii) If you do a lot of stop-start running in traffic or dense urban areas, and your engine doesn't get the air-flow it really needs.

Just my 2-cent's worth!

Mike.

Comment

The oil cooler I am installing on my 2 valve has an internal regulator and will only turn on when temperatures get high enough to warrant it. I think it is a good idea. Pictures follow. Sorry dial-up people

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwCRAmMWA0kB7pt!Rfu!4UaJpUs4Si9Zh6YMf3h9!9OeIwaJh ymdZKGHdrBDzrFxmJpkFKceQPl!n*EecEisjvqSibdasApq7tC C86wcQWmxcoddtwsfxA/DCP_7200.jpg[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwCRAnAWZEyhR*hmUSxpPx25MCnDj193bTVRVykwuh4Uz*A*d 2akQW8TfRFJZSaOOu6kPBGpo5sJu*rOk*LGBvnY444g7qm2mNo zAq1ro3Rk7iMubLgggw/DCP_7195.jpg[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwAZA3MWKk2hR*hmUSxpP!Lae8WPDD8y5yBFxXCmT02*ubQ4n yaxIi0*x!0JF!I3!V4Zg6MEUPCzXruxgkwdcwkzdlW!MvnzMpB qCnfrQU6fa!DRdGQhKA/DCP_7198.jpg[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwD5AmQWRkkB7pt!Rfu!4ULe3yPLOIoPQatfYNnJHPkeahRDQ u3t!XKwEzQleK8pefWppXr*TwXmoQEOfoqKsBf*qYtEhg*5bnu isUeRXKI6dZSu5k!CAw/DCP_7210.jpg[/img]

Comment

Hoomgar,

Now that's interesting stuff indeed (and I'm glad I switched to broadband recently, too!)...

Out of interest, whereabouts in the system is the regulator/ thermostat thingy situated? I see that in the intructions you have photographed, it refers to the "oil temperature control valve"... I have often wondered about setting something like this up with my oil-cooler, but haven't yet thought of a good way to set it up.

Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by tfb
                Hoomgar,

Now that's interesting stuff indeed (and I'm glad I switched to broadband recently, too!)...

Out of interest, whereabouts in the system is the regulator/ thermostat thingy situated? I see that in the intructions you have photographed, it refers to the "oil temperature control valve"... I have often wondered about setting something like this up with my oil-cooler, but haven't yet thought of a good way to set it up.

Mike.
                I honestly do not know. And come to think of it, if it is in the cooler itself (as I suspect it is) how would that work? Think about that one for a minute?

Here is a pic of the back of the instructions.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwDpAmkWj0oB7pt!Rfu!4a7ICZ9OaCqxRMaGY0ymdGVynr1Ql KfjlOukhsEdsIN3gzWqm228QhM99ooZB!gHn*PgLUj9Gleid*i RXJxVPyObq5xDjfauQw/DCP_7206.jpg[/img]

If I can remember to I will have a go at it tonight and see if I can figure it out. It just sounds good anyway Not really sure how it works :?

Comment

Hmmm, your photo there is a little too blurry (or is it my tired eyes?), but that's the question, isn't it. I mean, if you have the thermostat inline somewhere, the problem is how will it open if there is no warm oil nudging it to begin with, when there is zero flow?

But in your photo I can just make out something called a "sensor adapter" up there where the oil lines come off the rear of the crankcase. Mate, I'd be very interested to see if you can sleuth out how they've got it working.

My thought would be to have an electrically-operated valve in the cooler line, which is wired up to a thermostat stuck on the engine casing somewhere. Not that neat, but I think it could work. But the real thing you want to do is not only open one valve, you want to close another, so that the oil flow is directed straight to the filter housing when things are cold, but redirected through the cooler when things get hot. It's getting complicated...

Come to think of it, Hoomgar, if you could get a readable scan of those instructions emailed to me, I would find that a very useful bit of info!

Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by tfb
                    Hmmm, your photo there is a little too blurry (or is it my tired eyes?), but that's the question, isn't it. I mean, if you have the thermostat inline somewhere, the problem is how will it open if there is no warm oil nudging it to begin with, when there is zero flow?

But in your photo I can just make out something called a "sensor adapter" up there where the oil lines come off the rear of the crankcase. Mate, I'd be very interested to see if you can sleuth out how they've got it working.

My thought would be to have an electrically-operated valve in the cooler line, which is wired up to a thermostat stuck on the engine casing somewhere. Not that neat, but I think it could work. But the real thing you want to do is not only open one valve, you want to close another, so that the oil flow is directed straight to the filter housing when things are cold, but redirected through the cooler when things get hot. It's getting complicated...

Come to think of it, Hoomgar, if you could get a readable scan of those instructions emailed to me, I would find that a very useful bit of info!

Mike.
                    You got it buddy.

Comment

Hi Mark and Mike, I suspect the thermostat/bypass is built into the cooler as you suggest. I have been looking at a couple of add on type units and they still allow a small flow through the cooler even when the oil is cold. The reason they do this is for reducing the chance of damge to the engine from very cold oil being admitted once the thermostat does begin to allow flow. That's a nice looking setup Mark. Ray
                      "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                      GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                      1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                      1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Mark, where did you get your Derale?
                        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                          Geoff, thanks for the links and info that explains what I was told by the owner (he's a bright guy). I guess I just had the part mixed up in my head.

Hmmn...so now the question is to buy the cover and fix the leak or just pull it all off???
                          I would fix the leak and use it. If you use the the oil cooler you should be able to pour another 11-12 fl. oz of oil to compensate for the lines and cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
                            I lucked out and got that one new in the box and complete off eBay Don. I think it was like 50 bucks or so shipped?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                              Originally posted by dpep
                              I lucked out and got that one new in the box and complete off eBay Don. I think it was like 50 bucks or so shipped?
                              I hate it when that happens........to somebody else.
                              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Jethro, you said the cover is available in aftermarket from BikeBandit, or just buy a GS1150 cover from an '84 Suzuki?

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                                X