No announcement yet.

Oil Cooler: Keep it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have scanned my Derale QA-1 oil cooler document and have it in a PDF file now for anyone who wants it? I have no place to host it. Can someone host it for me? It's less than 350k.

In the meantime I can email it. TFB, send me another email buddy so I can send it to you.

Rock on 8)

P.S. Not to hijack your thread Adam, I know your still waiting for an answer from Jethro to your question. Sorry about this but this is where this belonged.

Comment

Don't know if this helps anyone but here are some pics. This is what came with my Lockhart cooler kit (which I couldn't use for the 1000):

This is similar to Mark's. For the older 8 valve models:

My installation on the 1000 required a total of 4 2/3 quarts to compensate for the lines and cooler. Mine does not have a cut-off valve installed. I was thinking that maybe during the cold season I would come up with some kind of cover for the cooler to block the cold air reaching the cooler fins. But I don't know if that is really necessary. On my 1150 in cold weather it takes a long time to warm the oil up.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

AOD, any 1150 oil filter cover will do, genuine, off a wreck etc.
        One trick that was used in Oz was to get a banjo bolt with a thermo switch in it,particularly if using the tapped holes either side of the filter cover on GSX(16 valve for the 'mericans ) motors, replace the right hand (viewed from the seat) banjo bolt, I can see no reason why this would not work on the supply side of a rear take off either.
        One point to ponder for everyone! Engine oil is supposed to run HOT, i.e. about 100 C (212F) and does not perform as well below that temperature, my 1150 has a temp guage and a cooler stock, I have not as yet (admittedly only had it six years)had it indicate 212F on that temp gauge, I do a far bit of "extra-legal" running.
        Dink

Comment

Renobruce,

Those are great photos, nice and clear. Mind if I use them on my oil-cooler webpage? It's all part of my attempt to get the vital info. in the one place, because GS oil-coolers have had many (inc. me) well-and-truly bamboozled...

I've never had a close gawk at a Lockhart set-up before -- but now I have. I can see what they've done there, no worries. I assume that the right-hand (from the rider's point of view) take-off point had a fitting that slotted down through the cover into the oil-passage?

Also, that's an interesting-looking set up at the oil-switch cover on the GS1000... is that a Lockhart thing also?

Dink, some good info. there. Are such banjos with internal thermos available here in Oz? If so, where could I get one?

Hoomgar, I've emailed you my email address -- so thanks in advance for the copy of the Derale installation instructions.

You're all a bunch of champs -- have a great New Year!

Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by tfb
            Renobruce,

Those are great photos, nice and clear. Mind if I use them on my oil-cooler webpage? It's all part of my attempt to get the vital info. in the one place, because GS oil-coolers have had many (inc. me) well-and-truly bamboozled...

I've never had a close gawk at a Lockhart set-up before -- but now I have. I can see what they've done there, no worries. I assume that the right-hand (from the rider's point of view) take-off point had a fitting that slotted down through the cover into the oil-passage?

Also, that's an interesting-looking set up at the oil-switch cover on the GS1000... is that a Lockhart thing also?

Mike.
            Here's a link to my photos..... use any that you want. There are some others you may want to use. http://photobucket.com/albums/b182/renobruce/GS1000/

There were no other special fittings.. nothing else going inside the cover. Just screw on the proper fitting on the outside and hook up your lines. I'm not sure who made the oil switch adapter. I bought it on e-bay. Glad I could help.
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

AOD Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:20 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jethro, you said the cover is available in aftermarket from BikeBandit, or just buy a GS1150 cover from an '84 Suzuki?
              Yup, just buy the 1150 cover. I'll try and find a part # for you. it's like $34 or something.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
              X