VAPOR LOCKING ON GS 1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAPOR LOCKING ON GS 1000?

I was riding my bike, a 1980 gs 1000 yesterday with 35,000 miles on it. i just filled up with gas, took off like a bat outta hades, and a few miles down the road, about 15 or so, it started losing power,like it was running out of gas. i stopped on the side of the road, it revved up just fine. I started out again and it was ok,so i decided to head home instead of riding.I did it again. Once more i stopped, revved it up, and took off eventually getting the 20 miles to home uneventful, but not at high speed.I called the suzuki dealer and he said he didnt even want to look at my bike and neither would anyone else because it was so old.Grrrrrr.He did say it might be vapor locked, maybe taking off the gas cap to relieve the pressure and check to see if the vent tube coming from the tank was kinked. I took the cap off, the vent tube was not kinked.I have not ridden it since.I can say I filled the tank all the way to the top, and maybe that was a mistake.Any help here is appeciated. When this isnt happening it runs really strong.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

The vent is in the gas cap check & make sure it is not full of rust/crud, make sure the petcock is working. Try riding it on prime, petcock problem. Try riding with the gas cap loose, vent problem

Comment

tHANK YOU VERY MUCH. i GUESS WHEN I TOOK THE CAP OFF AND PUT IT BACK ON, I ACCIDENTALLY CORRECTED THE VENT PROBLEM.Thanks very much.Dont know how you guys know so much about this stuff.My bike runs so strong, this is a problem that really bugged me.
      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

message to square dancer

Hey, I just checked, my petcock aint even all there.There is no valve lever on it to change from prime to on or off, etc.Guess I needa whole new petcock.I dont think a repair kit includes the lever does it?

Comment

Starting around 1980 they didn't put a lever on the petcock and you had to use a screwdriver to change from run to prime or reserve. Real handy when out trying to pass somebody.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
          https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

His '80 petcock doesn't have a reserve. Just on and prime. No lever as said earlier. Just a slot.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

There was a Suzuki recall released in early 1978 on gas caps for the GS1000. The affected frame numbers are as follows:

GS1000C -100057-->106353
              GS1000EC -500027-->506332

If you have a recalled gas cap the dealer is required to repair it. If you need documentation proving that, I have the letters to both the dealer and customer explaining the recall.

You can tell if your cap has been repaired by removing the two screws and removing the black plastic cap and then opening up the vent cover (yellowish plastic bump), removing the parts and looking at the bottom-most part: it should be a plastic disc with raised edges and a small hole in it. If it is made of rubber it has not been repaired. Also, there is a brass cup, immediately below the large steel ball under the yellowish cover that has a hole in it. That hole was originally a 1mm diameter, but was replaced under the recall with a cup having a 1.5mm diameter hole.

The kits originally cost the deal $1.50 so if they give you crap about it let them know you have all the information available to you.

I hope that helps...but if it is the petcock afterall, this won't matter.

-Zack

Comment

wow!!! All i can say is wow, you guys are so helpful. Thanks ever so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless
                  wow!!! All i can say is wow, you guys are so helpful. Thanks ever so much.
                  That's what we come here for...to help.
                  Excellent replies like Zack's are very helpful.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I'm glad I could help. And I realized I never explained the possible problem with the cap causing the recall... vapor locking. I guess everyone figured that anyhow. Take care.

Comment

Working...
                    X