Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok carb gurus, searched, now trying to..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok carb gurus, searched, now trying to..

Fix my latest addition to the nest...

I picked up a 1986 GSXR1100 for dirt cheap about a month or so ago..

picked up as a non-running bike, but was told it ran the previous yr :roll:

Leon (focus Frenzy) was there when i got it running.

It started up fine after some working on the carbs cleaning them setting the a/f screws etc.

I am having issues trying to start it now, stuck a stock airbox off my other '86 gsxr on it, had pods on the 1100 originally/

Cranked it once today after many attempts, ran it briefly then killed it.
    Came back out and it wouldn't restart/

a few things come to mind after doing a search:

intake boot O-Rings (yes it has them according to the microfiche, will pull them off tom after work)

I replaced the needle seats orings already last wk..

possibly out of synch, maybe plugged hole..

I dunno just frustrated, I am not new to carbs just frustrated and venting :x

anyways, got any clues, hints for me to attempt tommorrow after work?

thanks,
    Ron

If you went from pods to an air filter it could be too rich & fouled the plugs???

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
      If you went from pods to an air filter it could be too rich & fouled the plugs???
      ding ding the winner
      It is running rich, plugs are not fouled, but black from being too rich

New plugs have been installed, it cranked up for me on the 2nd go round today after work.

It is way rich, I am ordering new pods after the 1st of the year to hopefully cure this problem.

I am replacing the O-Rings behind the intake boots also..

Hoping this one will be ready for the Spring Tx Hill Country ride in '06

Comment

Darn it Lynn. Too easy.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Could also be vent hoses. With pods you remove them and with an airbox you use them to correct atmospheric pressure in the bowls.

Comment

Bad gas ?

Comment

no.
              the gas is fresh, this is my spare tank, and was clean and dry/

I pulled the filter out of the airbox and choked it for about 30 sec to a min or so and it cranked up and slowly warmed up.

I am probably going to order the pods 1st wk in Jan, too much holliday stuff happening right now/

I would like to get it squared away, but will have to wait on the pods.

I have a D&D full exhaust system on it and it was jetted for pods/

Thanks for the input, will try it one more time after the pods arrive in a few wks.

Thanks,
              Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Busafied
                ding ding the winner
                It is running rich, plugs are not fouled, but black from being too rich

New plugs have been installed, it cranked up for me on the 2nd go round today after work.

It is way rich, I am ordering new pods after the 1st of the year to hopefully cure this problem.

I am replacing the O-Rings behind the intake boots also..

Hoping this one will be ready for the Spring Tx Hill Country ride in '06
                We need some easyone's sometimes 8)

Comment

How true Lynn, how true.

It has now cranked everytime I have tried and used the choke (when it's cold)/

8O

Comment

Working...
                  X