GS charging system questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS charging system questions

Much has been written about this being the weakest part of the GS series, but I have yet to have any such problem (knock on my cranial matter).

I have an '81 GS1000GL(X) with under 20K original miles. I ride it almost every day. (Since I found this bike sitting in a garage this past July, where it sat ignored since '83, I have put over 7k miles on it.)

Can I assume that so long as my headlight is properly bright, the starter cranks, etc. etc., that I am good to go, and do not need to think about the charging system until I notice symptoms of problems?

Is it primarily higher mileage bikes that have reg/rec problems? Bikes run with tired batteries? Bikes overloaded w/ accessories?

I do have a couple of Honda regulator/rectifiers lying around. Should I consider swapping one of these for the Suzuki part, even though I have had no problems as yet?

The stator and reg/rec. can go at any time, without warning of any kind. Does that give you a warm, fuzzy feeling? Sorry.

Here is what I would reccomend. Perform the first step of the charging system test detailed in the GS garage. It consists of putting a simple meter to your battery terminals and checking voltage while the bike is off, at idle and above 2500 rpms. If that checks out, no need to replace any hardware.

Preventative medicine is somewhat possible. I would attach a new, clean ground to the reg/rec by running an 8 gauge or heavier wire from the housing of the reg/rec to the neg. battery terminal. Also try and keep all the connectors and harnesses as clean as possible for the entire bike.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Re: GS charging system questions

Originally posted by highmileage

Is it primarily higher mileage bikes that have reg/rec problems? Bikes run with tired batteries? Bikes overloaded w/ accessories?
      Nope... I always keep good batteries in my bikes and have no extra accesories. Needed a stator and R&R in my 1100GK before it hit 20K and the 81 GS850 I used to have needed an R&R at 25K...

Comment

I would replace the RR with a Honda unit before it takes out the stator. The RR usually shorts out and overheats the stator and then you have a bigger problem.

I have a RR from a Honda that I already modified and tested on my 650. PM me if interested, I'll supply new mounting screws and everything to install it with for 30 bucks.

I won a few of these a couple months back on ebay and have all I'll need.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

The connections I have found are the usual culprits in a bike that has been sitting for awhile. The connectors get oxidized and cause a bad connection which in turn causes the stator assy and the r/r to work extra hard. I soldered all my wires together and everything stays cool. Also the ground needs to be real good. Some folks just install new connectors. That's all up to you I just went the solder direction because that's my bag.

Comment

Oh brother I didn't realize Jethro said what I said but before I said what I said. :roll: That's what I get for jumping the gun. #-o But yeah what he said.

Comment

GS CHARGING SYSTEM QUESTIONS

MY 85 GS550L HAD 7155 MILES ON IT WHEN I GOT IT
              IT NOW HAS 13400 MILES ON IT AND I HAVE BEEN THROUGH
              2GOING ON THE 3RD R/R
              I HAVE RICK'S UNITS ON IT AND THEY HAVE REPLACED THEM UNDER WARRANTY FOR ME EACH TIME
              THE NEWEST IS A HEAVY DUTY UNIT THAT I RELOCATED TO THE FRONT OF THE BIKE FOR BETTER COOLING
              MOUNT A VOLT METER ON THE BIKE SO YOU CAN MONITOR THE VOLTAGE

Comment

Depends on which Honda R/R units you have laying around. If they are the ones with that fit stators with field coils, then they won't work.

I'm with Gary on this one. Install a voltmeter and watch the voltage when you're out riding. If it drops below 13 when riding at revs, start getting suspicious. Of course, do the bench testing with the stator papers before you do anything (as previously mentioned).

J
                16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Hey highmileage...carefull what you ask for...I had no problems untill I found
                  this forum and read all about how/what to check for. Went through the whole
                  bike cleaning connections and grounds....two weeks later I'm stuck on the side
                  of road with both fried R/R and stator....sure, must have been something
                  I disturbed but I would rather blame these guys Anyway, new Ricks
                  stator and cx500 R/R its been trouble free 10k miles 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                    The stator and reg/rec. can go at any time, without warning of any kind. Does that give you a warm, fuzzy feeling? Sorry.

Here is what I would reccomend. Perform the first step of the charging system test detailed in the GS garage. It consists of putting a simple meter to your battery terminals and checking voltage while the bike is off, at idle and above 2500 rpms. If that checks out, no need to replace any hardware.

Preventative medicine is somewhat possible. I would attach a new, clean ground to the reg/rec by running an 8 gauge or heavier wire from the housing of the reg/rec to the neg. battery terminal. Also try and keep all the connectors and harnesses as clean as possible for the entire bike.
                    The only other thing I was going to add to what Jethro said is:
                    -get a battery charger to keep the battery at full charge when you aren't riding it

-check the electolyte level in the battery often or get a maintainence free one

-if your bike is leaking or using oil keep the oil level topped off because the stator sheds heat to the oil it is bathed in

-after you clean your electrical conections us some heat shrink tubing over the connections where applicable

Comment

I want to offer my most sincere thanks to all who responded.

After reading your postings and the excellent Stator Papers, I've learned a lot!

Funny, this is my fifth GS (two 750's, two 1000GL's, and an 1100G) and I've just never had any electrical problems with any of them. Cop troubles, YES (but only with the two 750's) but that's it!

As far as the Honda r/r's, I have two from '80 CB650's and one or two from V-45 Sabres. Funny someone mentioned the heat issue, I had two Sabres on which I put a total of more than 150k miles. Their r/r's were always ridiculously hot giving me reason to wonder whether I should be concerned (one time one of them melted some plastic on the connector, so I replaced it with one I had from a parts bike), but they never caused any breakdowns or problems.

I guess I've been lucky.

The old trick on Honda Gold Wings (1200 'Wings were famous for eating Stators and to replace on on one of these requires engine r & r, big bucks at a shop - a LOT of labor involved!) was to replace the connectors with individual butt connectors and wrap them up to keep them clean (which I did) or to hardwire/solder them on. Again, perhaps I was lucky but I put over 300k miles on it and never had electrical problems (well, there was that one time when the lead fuse on the starter relay developed a tiny hairline crack, but I suspect that was from vibration more than heat because once I replaced the fuse, it never again gave me any trouble)...

But that doesn't mean it won't happen, and obviously it has happened to a whole lot of you folks, so...

I know what I'll be screwing around with in the garage tomorrow!

Thanks again, one and all, for all of the helpful input.

And (at the risk of *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ing off anyone that thinks that Fox News isn't an oxymoron) Happy Holidays to all GSers!

Comment

Working...
                      X