'81 GS450S float question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS450S float question

My older Clymer ('82) lists float height at 21.4 -23.4mm (.84-.92"). This height would require quite a bit of bending of the tab and the float would just about touch the body of the carb. Current height on one is .983" and the other is about the same.
    This is also specified as having the pin on the needle valve not compressed at all by the float tab. As my book is a first printing of 450 info I'm wondering if they have a misprint.
    Thanks!

My Haynes says the same measurements.

I had no problems putting either of our bike's to that range. Not sure how you are measuring the height, but there are a bunch of good posts in here to tell you how, search on 'float height' (just in case.....)

Comment

Pretty sure I'm measuring right. Thanks for the info. It just seems so close to the body of the carb. Nice bikes by the way.

Comment

Where is the bottom of the ruler? It kinda hard to tell from that picture. I started the measurement from where the gasket sits.

And thanks, her bike is much better than mine I don't mind, it makes me less worried about fooling around with mine. Hers stays stock (her orders )

Comment

I think the measurement is supposed to ge done with the gasket in place.

Comment

Originally posted by IanFrancisco
            I dont think so. In my clymers manual, theres a pic with the gasket removed, and the ruler is on the inside edge (lowest point on the edge when the carb is upside-down).

Comment

You measure from the flat surface of the carb body (no gasket) to the top of float. Make sure the tip of the verniers isn't resting on the thin ridge that helps the bowl gasket seal.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Well I guess that's it then. Clymer also says no gasket. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get it in shape! Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Well, even though I was wrong, I guess I helped clear the issue up...

Comment

Well, even though I was wrong, I guess I helped clear the issue up...
                    Yes you did. We're all learning here.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                    X