A ? about starters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A ? about starters.

What is the difference in material between the black graphite brushes in some electric motors and the bronze colored ones in a starter?

Re: A ? about starters.

Originally posted by Clone
    What is the difference in material between the black graphite brushes in some electric motors and the bronze colored ones in a starter?
    I wonder if its the ability to conduct??

Comment

the main difference between black brushes and teh gold coloured ones is the blacks are all carbon, the golds are a carbon/copper or carbon/brass mix. Used to help prolong the life of the brushes, and for a (debateable) better conduction of electricity due to the metal in the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
        the main difference between black brushes and teh gold coloured ones is the blacks are all carbon, the golds are a carbon/copper or carbon/brass mix. Used to help prolong the life of the brushes, and for a (debateable) better conduction of electricity due to the metal in the mix.
        Dont start a mystery and not finish it. Please give a little more information on the debateable ability to conduct issue. I wont sleep unless you fill me in in not too complicated terms--cant the diference be measured???

Comment

So what am I going to sacrifice if I use black brushes, can't find the bronze ones in the parts bins? Just life, or will cranking power suffer too?

Comment

you will be giving up power using the black carbon brushes.
            I have never seen high power electric motors that used plane carbon brushes, they all used metalic brushes, I have even seen silver brushes used in racing RC electric motors.

Comment

Working...
            X