Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where's neutral?

Hey Folks:

My GS750L (80') is starting to not want to go into neutral...but it only does this with the motor running. It goes into neutral easily when the bike is off. Seems I read somewhere (on this site I'm sure) that behavior of this type is an indication of a certain problem or that a problem is possible to occur (clutches, sinchros', etc.)

Can anyone advise??

Much Thanks: David

David,
    Your clutch may be out of adjustment or the clutch cable may be worn out. Common on the 850's.
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Cloudbreak:

Thanks I'll check it when I get it home.

David

Comment

My GS1100 goes into neutral easier from second than first. 8O

Comment

yeh what is that, i was having a heck of a time a couple days ago trying to find neutral when my 550 was running and it wouldnt go at all, the shifter felt really stiff and would just skip over to 2nd over and over

Comment

About 9 times out of 10, the problem is either the clutch cable binding and not allowing full travel or the adjuster on the clutch is not set correctly. Avoid the temptation to stomp the shift lever harder when shifting is stiff. All that will get you is bent shift forks and a teardown.

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Or change the oil.
              I've noticed with either of my bikes it shifts smoother/easier with fresh oil.
              Yea I know that it should be obvious, but sometimes that's all it takes.

Oh and check the slack in the clutch cable.

How old is the clutch? it may be getting time for a replacement.
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
              X