Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting/electrical problems - new '80 GS750LT Owner

Hi guys,

I recently picked up a 1980 GS750LT, and I'm having some starting problems. Its cold here (around 4C/40F) and I couldn't start my bike last night, I had it parked outside. It cranked for a while, I had the choke out, but wouldn't fire.

However, it didn't crank for long before the battery was dead. I don't know how long it should normally go before killing the battery, but I'm pretty sure it should go longer than it did.

Since it has always started before (usually in my heated parking area), I haven't had to look, but last night I was looking for a kick starter.. and.. hey, I couldn't find it. Am I crazy or stupid or does this bike not have one? Could the cranking arm have been removed?

I have been hearing that these bikes can have some electrical problems, so I'm guessing that maybe the battery isn't charging properly. If there is anything out there on diagnosing & fixing charging problems with these bikes, please let me know.

Now, to get the bike started, I want to pull the battery out and charge it with a regular car charger, I'm assuming there's no problem with this.. although I'm also assuming that I shouldn't be jump starting it from a car engine, correct?

I've got a repair manual on order, but in the meantime, can somebody give me a good idea of where the battery is in the bike and what needs to be removed to get at it?

I'm a new bike owner, so sorry for all the dumb questions, but thanks for the answers.

-Warren

Off the top of my head..a few answers:

No kick starter on your bike.
    GS's are typically cold natured and very sensitive to a fully charged battery.
    General GS(unmodified) starting procedure seems to be:
    Full choke(enrichening valve), no throttle, crank and when it fires, gradually take off choke 'til engine is warm.
    I usually use a low amp charger(1 amp) for bike batteries, occassionally using a 4 amp for a quick boost.
    Motorcycle batteries have limited cranking reserve power due to their physical size, so maybe a minute or two max. cranking time will discharge your battery.(guessing on the time).
    You can jump start from an auto using care, but don't crank on your starter too long or you will toast the wires.

Comment

Forgot?
      The battery is located under the Air Cleaner box which is under the Seat. You will have to remove the seat, AC box. I find the removal of the AC box easier if the rear brake master cylinder(located behind the Right Side Panel) is loosened slightly to allow the tilting of the AC box which is required to remove it from the chassis. Look on http://www.bikebandit.com for reference.
      Be sure a use the SEARCH feature for a wealth of previous postings. Also, read the Stator Papers(charging system Bible for GS's).

Comment

To answer one of your questions- there is a detailed process of how to check the charging system called The Stator Papers. you can find it by clicking the 'Homepage link at the top of this page and then the"In the garage" link under the Technical heading. You'll need a digital multimeter, about 15-20 bucks at an auto store or radio shack.

good luck

duh- heres the link to the FAQ which describes the Stator Papers. ...

Comment

As to where your battery lives, although I don't have any experience with your particular model, there are some universal truths. The battery is typically located under the seat, accessed by removing that seat and likely the airbox - look there. Unless you know the history of this battery, the battery itself should be suspect. Even batteries that are a year old can be really weak as a result of neglect, and can't be made 100 percent again. You have to keep a battery charged or the plates sulfate and battery dies. If older and neglected it's likely shot. Add distilled water (cheap by the quart at the drug store) to the cells of an uncharged battery only to bring the level above the plates - fill to the appropriate line after the battery is fully charged. I personally wouldn't use an automotive charger unless necessary, but if you do, don't use a charger that exceeds 2 amps output (and only after getting the advice of your neighbourhood automotive battery specialty store as to how long to charge). I prefer a small-battery-specific automatic charger like a Battery Buddy (or a cheaper clone) that converts to a float/maintenance charge once the main charge is complete: Plug it in and forget it in the winter off-season. Output on these usually runs from 600 ma to 1.25 amps. After you charge the battery, bring it to a battery store and ask them to load-test the battery, usually free as it takes just a moment. If the battery must be replaced, remember that there are two schools of thought on this issue: Buy the best and maintain it well or buy the cheapest and replace it every year or two. I prefer buying the best and hoping for four to five years, but you have to invest in a proper charger. If you get a new battery, ensure you fully charge it before you put it into service! If you fill it and immediately put it into service you will never realize it's potential. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys, it helped a lot. Looks like I have my work cut out for me this weekend, but that's what I was expecting.

-Warren

Comment

You're making me suspicious Warren. You've just described my bike-- and you live in the same city.

I'm gonna go downstairs and make sure the bike is still where I left it after my plate expired (because who knew we'd have a drought in October?).

Comment

Heh, its out in New West parked on the street.

What was your problem, battery or stator/regulator?

-Warren

Comment

Hi Warren,
                  If you do use a car charger do not charge the battery while it is connected to the bike. When I test drove the GS400 I currently have smoke started to billow out from under the side covers Turns out the guy I bought it from charged it in place with a car charger. He paid for a new regulator/rectifier so no worries for me other than it gave out after 2 months use...

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve, I wasn't planning to. I'll take it out and leave it on trickle (1amp) charge overnight, then put it back on Friday, hopefully figure out what is going on during the weekend.

Does anybody have a good reason why these bikes don't have kick starters? Approximately how many models do and don't?

Thanks.

-Warren

Comment

Originally posted by WarrenC
                      Thanks Steve, I wasn't planning to. I'll take it out and leave it on trickle (1amp) charge overnight, then put it back on Friday, hopefully figure out what is going on during the weekend.

Does anybody have a good reason why these bikes don't have kick starters? Approximately how many models do and don't?

Thanks.

-Warren
                      Don't know if its a good reason but I suspect for economic reasons, duplicity of systems deemed unnecessary, less complexity, smaller engine packages, etc. A properly maintained charging and starting system will suffice most of the time. From about '80 on one should expect not to find a kick starters. Wouldn't know about specific models.

Comment

Originally posted by WarrenC
                        Heh, its out in New West parked on the street.

What was your problem, battery or stator/regulator?

-Warren
                        Well, the stator was replaced this summer by mechanics I don't trust, which leads me to believe it's the regulator/rectifier.
                        Right now I'm trying to decide if it's worth me putting more money into the bike, or if I should just give it up and go on my merry way...

Comment

Working...
                        X