Cruising, POOF, then nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruising, POOF, then nothing

I was enjoying a beautiful xmas eve ride when it sounded like a small backfire then the bike died. I checked the fuses and the ignition fuse was blown, I changed it but nothing. Turn the key on and everything works, lights, signals, horn, but push the starter button and nothing, won't kick either.

I installed a dyna ignition and coils about 150 miles ago( installed by mechanic)

I have no idea what happened. Bikes a 79 550L

David

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!!

sounds like the dyna went POOF!

trace the wiring to and from the dyna module checking for any chafed wires and shorts.

Comment

The fact that the starter doesn't work ?? or does it ??? is Quectionable unless the Dyna ign shorted & blew fuse. You say the fuse was replaced?? did it blow again ?? Get the voltage meter & start checking for voltage at the starter button, start/run switch, small wire on start soloniod (when the start button is pressed)

Comment

Can you push the bike and get it started. You said it won't kick does that mean the engine is locked up??? If the engine is locked up the starter wouldn't spin. That's like worse case scenario, hope you figure everything out.

Comment

No spark, no electricity to the engine. Haven't had time to get into it yet cause of the holidays but its definately electrical of some sort. The Ignition fuse was blown, it blew the side out of the fuse instead of element inside the fuse( literally a hole in the metal sidecap). I did replace the fuse but no change. Not the battery cause everything else works. I'm leaning (hoping) its the run/kill switch but honestly I have no idea.

What would happen if the dyna went POOF?? What else would have blown

pntrdave.. I meant that I tried to kick start the motor and there is just no spark, engine turns fine. Its got to be somewhere from the run switch down if the starter won't turn and the engine won't fire.... Right???

Again, Lights, signals, horn, oil and neutral light all work.

Thanks again.

david

Comment

A couple of common "hot spots" are the ignition wires in the headlight housing and the 3 generator wires. Look in those areas for insulation burning/shorts. If you see the insulation burning up and bare wires in the generator/stator area, good chance the regulator's supplying too much voltage. Hopefully you just have a wire touching ground.
            If not, check the red (hot) Dyna wire and the splice/coupler they supply to attach to your harness under the tank. If that red wire became loose, no power to the Dyna unit.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

try looking at the switch where the on and off button is at if the wire inside the cover if off solder and retry...... to see if that is what is going on do this cross over the starter wires with a screwdriver if the motor turn with the ignition on it might start if it don't pull a spark plug boot and stick the screwdriver in to the end and do the starter again and turn the engine over if spark happens it is most likly the starter button If it don't spark it's the on and off switch on the handle bar good luck

Comment

Alright, had time to sniff around the bike yesterday, went through all the wiring and connections, tapped on this and that and voilia. Tapped on the starter relay, hit the starter button and it cranked up. Then I turned the kill switch off and tried it again, nothing, tapped on the starter relay and it fired again.

Today I plan on cleaning up all the terminals on the relay and double checking the wires to it.

Question, Could it be as easy as the relay or would another problem have caused the fuse to blow while cruising down the road at 70 mph. Should I buy a volt meter and go through bike checking voltage???

Thanks for all your help
                david

Comment

Some people have used relays from lawn tractors here. A cheap alternative to oem.

Comment

Working...
                  X