shock length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shock length?

I want to replace the rear shocks on my other bike, but I can only find a racing shock that is 20mm shorter than the originals. Is 20mm an unmanagable drop in the rear height of a bike? I really don't want to destroy the handling, I want to improve it.

I wouldn't do it, especially with a stock front end. The rear already seems and feels a little too low. I expected to banned by now.

Comment

Re: shock length?

Originally posted by Clone
      I want to replace the rear shocks on my other bike, but I can only find a racing shock that is 20mm shorter than the originals. Is 20mm an unmanagable drop in the rear height of a bike? I really don't want to destroy the handling, I want to improve it.
      20mm, that's quite a bit, by the time you factor in rider sag also. If you can slide the forks up into the triple tree to closely equall the amount of the shorter shocks, than it will work.

Comment

On the '83 you can slide the tubes up but then you lose quite a bit of ground clearance. A Honda VTR1000 shock looks as if it might work. A little longer than your stock shock with eyes at both ends.

Comment

How much are you looking to spend?

There's Ohlins....

Hagon.....

Works Performance......

All of these have fitments for your bike.

If you are looking for something used, look at those from a CB900F. They have the clevis at the bottom and are considerably longer. For that matter I have a set I had planned on using on the Mighty Buffalo until I got the KYBs, I'll make you a good deal on....

Comment

He needs eyes at both ends. A new shock cost about as much as the bike is worth. I'll either try a VTR shock myself or swap out the entire rear for a '93 Gixxer swingarm I have lying around. Then I'll be able to get my hands on a good used aftermarket shock that can be rebuilt.

Comment

Sorry, I sit corrected......

Comment

Working...
              X