Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mikuni BS34SS carbs - which bikes have 'em ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mikuni BS34SS carbs - which bikes have 'em ??

Mikuni BS34SS carbs are the OE on my '80 GS450S (and all years of GS450, I think). I was wondering what other bikes use them, if any. I read some of the GS1000's also use these but would like some other opinions. If it's true, I can get carb rebuild kits a LOT easier. I suppose I could compare part nos. but being the lazy slob I am and trying to minimize the frying my retinas get from my monitor I thought I would ask the collective intelligence here. The wise men of this forum continue to amaze... You know who you are, and I hope you know how much you are appreciated by us less knowledgable types. Best wishes for a healthy, (not too) safe, and prosperous New Year!

After 7k miles of enthusiastic if not speedy riding this year, the GS450ST in my life is making some rattly noises when cold trying to tell me to stop riding and start getting some maintenance done, as if the maintenance ever stops! But, I've only had the bike back on the road less than a yr. (3/05) from its 10yr. slumber and each project undertaken has rewarded me with a significant improvement of one form or another, except for that blasted, spawn-of-the-devil petcock! Haven't been able to find a rebuild kit for that oddball petcock. It's diaphragm is larger (42mm square) and the gas pipe points straight west (toward RH side). Space is limited and some of the other petcocks might not fit. Been looking at replacements, I think one from a TS250 might fit. PINGEL - I know, but kinda pricey, needs an adapter plate and there's the clearance issue...

Lots of sites list the GS550 as the smallest GS they carry parts for. Kinda makes a GS450 owner seem like a poor stepchild (sniff). I wonder what the production numbers were for the various models. Any ideas how to find out?

This GS450 has been more fun than I can describe. I seldom need to use all its 42hp and spend most of the time short-shifting thru the canyons and trying to maintain a smooth, moderately fast pace carrying as much speed into the corners as I dare and accelerating out of the apex on a whiff of throttle. Not the fastest way to get from point A to B I know, but neither of my buddys can keep up with me in the slow, tight stuff !! They ride a V-max and a Bonneville America. The Roadrunner tires and suspension mods were worth every penny. I rode the Bonnie and it's an agile bike for a cruiser, doesn't scrape at reasonable lean angles. I suppose once I get a taste of big-bike power life with the GS450 will be ruined forever but for now I just want all the bugs worked out so I can see if I can get the odo up over 50k miles...

Ok, did some homework, found this link:

Apparently the '80 GS1100ET uses BS34SS carbs. That helps. Any others?

Comment

Check this thread.

Comment

Good thread! How about making it a sticky instead of linking off the carb cleaning page?

Comment

Their are differences between the BS carbs used on the twins & the I4s
          one being the floats are different the twin uses brass floats I believe. What you might try is a set of carbs from a late model GS500 twin.

Comment

My 85 GS450L uses them and doesn't use brass floats. They are the weird hard foam material.

Ian, you may not need kits anyway. Usually an o ring kit will get you what you need. The only other parts I had to replace on my really gunked up carbs were the float needles because the pins were stuck. If they are not, they will probably be fine too.

Also, I got my petcock rebuild kit from cycle re-cycle. If they won't ship to you in Oz, someone here probably would.

Comment

81 and 83 1100E's use em, got 'em on the bench right now.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
              X