GS 550 and GS 1000 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 550 and GS 1000 question

ok so I have an 81 GS1000G, it runs like a scalded ass ape, but it isn't real pretty, lots of wiring splicing and that type of stuff. I am driving it (la la la) and the damn speedometer needle breaks in half!!!! So now I need a new speedometer, my gauge set is pretty ratty so I figure I will just find a complete set. Found a guy, via the wonderful internet who has an 83 GS550L gauge set. Here is my question, Will this work, I know I will have to splice wires and the speedo goes to 140, not 80, there is indication for 6 gears not 5, etc, but will all the functions work properly?
    -The tach should work I think
    -oil, neutral, and turn lights should all be ok
    -BIG Question is the speedo calibrated the same??? Are GS 1000 and 550 front tires the same size, any body know?

Any help would be appreciated, or if you have a gauge set that would work, under 40 bucks (that is how much the one for the 550 costs including shipping) and want to get rid of it let me know.

Thanks

I think you will have to do a lot of work getting the gauges of a GS550L working properly on a GS1000G. Besides the things you already mentioned, the set of gauges from an L type GS looks very different from the other GS types. It probably won't even fit without modifications. I would look for some gauges off a GS750, 850 or 1000 (not the L types!).
    I'm not shure if the 83 GS550L front wheel has the same diameter as the GS1000 wheel. "L" is the "chopper" type GS, so the front wheel might be smaller, but as I said, I'm not shure.
    Maybe someone else has some info on this one?

Comment

The front wheels are both 19" but the tires if I remember are 3.00 (550)and 3.50 (1000) respectively. Tach will work as long as the cable fits the gauge. Wiring will most likely be a dice and splice job for most if not all of it. For the gear readout there will be no signal to energize 6 as far as I know.

Jon Kram

81 GS750EX and proud of it!!

Comment

How fast does a scaled ass ape go?!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissinc
          How fast does a scaled ass ape go?!!

???????????????

Comment

I was looking through a catalogue and it said that ALL Japanese bikes have the same RPM of the speedo cable at 60mph or 100kmh. I am not totally sure you can switch between km to miles or not though.

You have an electronic speedo and I would like to think that the Japanese bike manufacturers got together and did the same thing for them. Phone your local bike wrecker to make sure.

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X