1982 GS750E Carb Floats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS750E Carb Floats

Hey folks, Hope ye all had a good Christmas.
    I have gone through the FAQ's etc and am still unsure.
    The Carbs on my bike are Mikuni. I don't know the model No. but they have 4 screws on the top cover (square..ish approx 2.5" )which look to be a diaphram type ?? at a guess.
    Only No's visible look very faded and faintly like....5420 IY3 (Including scratches)
    Different to the images on my Haynes manual. (Typical)
    Problem...On prime, Fuel pours from the airbox drain. the rubber O-Rings on two of the "Float needle jet assy's" are slightly sheared.
    Q1..would this be enough to cause fuel to pour freely ??
    Need to check float heights anyway.
    Q2..Any ideas on the correct float heights for this '82 GS750E ??
    Book says 26 but thats for different carbs (The ones with 3 screws on the cover).
    Q3. is there any overflow tubes on these machines or is it typical for the excess to go into the Airbox and (Probably) the cylinder.??
    Need to go out on New Years Day.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Paul.

The sheered off o-rings will definitely let fuel pass. 26mm is way too much. 22.4 +/- .4 is usually what CV carbs call for.

You should be able to find specs for you carbs here, http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=19364.

Comment

Changing O-Rings.
      Will set to 22.4....seems to be near typical.
      Presume CV is the type of carb I've described.

Thanks.

Comment

Yes, you have CVs.

Comment

Take care driving the float pins out, the float towers are easy to break.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Done & dusted,
            Found a nice set of O-rings, a good fit without shearing the edges on the way in. Set to prime....fuel flows until carbs are presumably full, then stops, unlike before where I could see the fuel running continiously through the filter. And..........found the "Supliment" at the back of the book with the later carbs, and after all that, "herself" is working on my bike day...so it's kids day instead.
            Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X