Idle issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tconroy
    your right Keith, I also believe that silicone is "mickey mouse" and shouldnt be done.Replacement is not cheap but having the silicone sucked into the engine would be far more expense.And your right again,A week of not riding is well worth another week or more of tinkering.This should be my last "down time event" which means I will be riding when the "warm up" comes.Its really cold here in K.C. right now anyway,so I picked a good time to be down.Do you know the size of the allens to replace the old phillips screw with.I think its 6mm but I dont know what the thread pitch is.I will take one to home depot and see if i can match it.
    Didn't realize you are in KC. I am in Topeka. Maybe we can meet to ride on of these days!

Home Depot here doesn't have what you need. I use ACE Hardware or an independent hardware store that has more metric stuff that you can sneeze at. From screws you need a magnifier to see to the big stuff used on big Japanese dozers. Make sure you match the threads carefully because there seem to be two common different thread pitchs. Kind of like standard and fine.

Comment

Thanks for the info jimg.I live close to noland and 40 hwy.and there is an Ace store there so I'll try there first.I always look forward to meeting fellow gs riders.R gierer was over last week with his 750 and we had a great time talking about our bikes!!!!Cant wait to go to the GS rally at roaring river and meeting everyone!!!

Comment

just got back from Ace hardware and they had my intake screws.6mm by 1.0 allens.I put one in and they look great.Its amazing how much difference new screws make it look.Thanks again jimg and Keith.Can't wait to get my new boots on!!!!!Also ordered some nice looking highway pegs too!

Comment

Cool. Let us know how it goes.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

If all goes well parts will be here friday,saturday latest.Put em on saturday night and test it out on sunday afternoon.I think this will fix my problem of a 500 rpm gain when warmed up.The #2 boot came completly separated from the intake flange when I took the carbs off.I hope the carbs will slide into the new boots easier than the old ones.Would it help to leave the sync screws out to allow air to escape when pushing the carbs on?
            Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2006, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I don't think removing the screws will help installation. You may want to use some silicone lubricant and heat up the manifolds a bit with a blow dryer to help them flex a bit. Stock air boxes can be tight, so take your time and don't get mad at it.
              I've always thought you have an intake leak but your latest message confirms it. You said the bike gains about 500 rpm's after warming up. I don't believe you mentioned it in that way before. Gaining that much rpm from cold to hot is the classic intake leak symptom.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I have had good luck chasing intake leaks with starting fluid like kahuna mentioned. Just be careful not to get too much in there. The tiniest bit of starting fluid in the area of a leak will immediately cause an RPM increase. Is why I prefer it over water or WD-40. Just don't flood the area.

Comment

The old boots let the carbs go in easily.I think putting them on is easier than taking them off.I never get mad at anything I work on,Just even, through persistence and reasoning.Its human nature that lets us get upset with things we dont understand,but thinking "wisley" will get the job done.Patience helps also!

Comment

Well, the bike is up and running properly!! Why is it always the simplest things that you miss? It turns out that the lock nut on the accelerator cable by the throttle was loose. I readjusted the cable to make sure that the throttle was all the way closed, then tightened the lock nut.

It immediately started and settled into 800rpm's. Hit the throttle and instant power. All I need to do now is my regular adjustments and then I am ready to ride!

Thanks again Keith and everyone else for their help!

Comment

Man!!!!!I got a new bike!!!!The intake boots did the trick.It idles smoothly and has a totally different attitude!!Sounds better than ever and comes right back down to perfect idle as soon a let off the throttle Its not near as noisy either.Best 100 bucks Ive spent yet.The old boots were sagging which caused my air box not to line up right with the carbs,now everything fits like a glove and looks better.I got stainless steel allen screws for the boots which look good against my black engine also.Its been to cold to try it out more than once so far,but its running good in the garage just sittin on it!!!you get great gas mileage that way too.
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-17-2006, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X