Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mis-shifting issue between 4th and 5th....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mis-shifting issue between 4th and 5th....

82 GS850GL.

Occasionally I will discover that I have another neutral between 4th and 5th gear?.
    It mostly happens during aggressive acceleration & shifting.
    I?m probably due for a new clutch soon as she kind of clunks into gear and I sometimes have a hard time finding neutral.
    Could this be relative?

Any ideas?
    Thanks!

If you are having a hard time finding netural Check the clutch adjustment & idle speed. Make sure you are not getting lazy when you shift

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
      If you are having a hard time finding netural Check the clutch adjustment & idle speed. Make sure you are not getting lazy when you shift
      Yea, the adjustment is fine. Idle is around 1K +or- 100
      Don't really think it's the clutch. It?s probably good for another 15K anyway.
      Just wanted to include the fact that it is on the down side of its lifespan.
      I know these old gals are inherently clunky shifters to begin with.

The mis-shifting is what?s more curious?.
      It's not a big deal, just kind of embarrassing when it happens...

Lazy shifting? Not likely. Again it mostly happens during aggressive acceleration and shifting.
      Therefore, I?m getting into the thrill of the event and focusing my attention to the task?

If I futz around with the shifter, I can get it into that dead spot between 4th and 5th?.
      Just wondering if this is an inherent normality or do I have an issue brewing in tranny town?

Comment

shifting

I bought a slightly used 1981 gs 850gl and put about 400 miles on her so far. She did do this once. I do not know if I was lazy shifting but I do not think so.

Comment

Working...
        X