honda stator question, any help would be great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

honda stator question, any help would be great

hey everybody, I have a simple question, I have some serious bogging issues with my gs 850 and I am experiencing almost no power, I have changed the fuel line and cleaned the filter, all new gaskets and o-rings from the block up, including a carb rebuild. I have tested the stator and my results are odd I have slightly low voltage but it jumps around by about 5 volts at 5000 rpm. I think that I might need a new stator or rectifier. What kind of Honda could I get a stator that will fit my 79 gs 850? I really appreciate any help, thanks a lot

I don't think we have a "comparison chart" for what stators swap.

But yes, it sounds like your stator is fried. Get a new one. Heck, get a used one. Just get one that's right. have you gone through the stator papers yet?
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Honda stators are completely different, you need a proper stator for Suzuki GS bikes, and there are differences there too.

The regulators from certain honda bikes can be used with Suzukis.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Don't know if it would fit or not, but there is an Electrix stator for a 550 for sale in the parts section. Ray
        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Im selling a GS550 Stator for around 50$

Comment

IF your 79GS850 is like my 79GS850 the stator is unique to some extent in 1980 they all went to basicly the same stator. Test it to make sure I . would bet you have a bad regulator which you can use 78-82? Honda reg.
            IF the stator is bad check around at motor rewinding places to have yours rewound. Or use the late type cover,stator & rotor from an 80 gs850

Comment

This is the correct link
              Friendly and helpful customer support that goes above and beyond. We help you get the perfect domain name.

Looks like 78-79 GS 550/750/850 are the same
              78-79 GS1000 is different

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
                Honda stators are completely different, you need a proper stator for Suzuki GS bikes, and there are differences there too.

www.electrix.com has compatablity charts

The regulators from certain honda bikes can be used with Suzukis.
                That URL takes me to a architectural lighting store

Comment

As SqDancerLynn said, its probably the Reg/Rectifier that is causing the problem. If you still have the original Suzuki R/R, its almost certainly knackered by now. Have a look on Ebay for a Honda equivalent - eg VT500, CB250/400T or CB650. Heres an example which should do the job with a bit of re-wiring : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Regul...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Working...
                  X