steering alignment? or bent forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering alignment? or bent forks?

I have a 1980 GS1000S--acquired recently. Had new tires put on front and rear almost immediately. Noticed the handlebars are really crooked compared to front tire. Little damage to front fender and mirrors weren't stock...bike obviously has been down in the past. Previous owner got it that way, but never noticed problem with steering. Actually still steers good but results in a heck of a sore back, neck, shoulders, etc. Tried loosening the upper and lower fork clamps and steering head bolt but the thing just wants to sit neutrally cocked off to the left a little. What do you say? Bent fork(s)? Crooked axle? I'm confused. Have never worked on bikes much. No obvious damage or deformity to forks, but I did notice when I installed the upper fairing support brackets one side was a bear to install...maybe why they were missing in the first place. Help?

I'd check the fork tubes. My 1000 felt the same way after my accident this past summer. The tubes were bent, one worse than the other, resulting in the off center steering. Get a good straightedge & check those tubes!

Terry

Comment

Check the triple tree. mine was a little bent and I replaced it; I also had a slightly bent fork tube. Until I got new forks I was able to rotate the tube in the clamps and straighten the wheel out a little, although it did lean a bit .
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

pulled the forks out of the triple tree and used a straight edge on both...right side upper section is slightly twanked...guess I have to try to find a new one...anyone know of a good source? How do I check the triple clamps for damage? Don't want to put new forks in f'd up clamps, right? What about pursuing a completely different set-up? I know some of you have done this...help please?

Comment

I have a triple tree from an 82 850. The 850 and 1000 bikes share most suspension parts and are probably the same. Forks should be 37 mm in diameter. the 55- 65- 750 were closer together and used 35mm forks.

Measure the distance between the forks and the overall height of the triple tree. Measure the fork length as well.

IF you have dual discs you might be ablet o use a 850G front end as well as a 1000G. Even a 1100G might work.

Once you have measurements you can ask around on the forum or junk yards for parts. eBay works if you know already what will fit.

If you need my 850 triple tree ( measure yours and get the sizes) PM me and I'll make you a good deal.

Comment

Took a peek at Alpha sports adn it looks like the 850 has two tangs on it for limit stops against the headtube whereas the 1000s had a single stop located off to one side. If you contact alpha sports on the phone you might ask them if and what will fit so you can widen your net for forks and triple trees.

I would definately consider replacing the tree since it took a hit. You can set it up on a bench and see if there is any mis alignment. Mine was bent and it was obvious on the bike as well as the bench.

Comment

Thank you all very much. I just bought 850 front end (forks, triple tree) from ebay and will try that after checking and rebuilding forks as needed or helpful...I wish doing this work had been my idea and I was doing it as an improvement, instead of just bringing it back to normal out of necessity...guess the story never ends on 25-year-old machines...guess the hidden blessing is that it keeps me distracted enough to stay out of serious trouble...hahaha

Comment

Imagine doing it an an otherwise PERFECT bike like I did. But now the handling is great and it does not pull to one side.

I have a triple tree cover with the suzuki name on it for the top if you need one.

Comment

Does that bike have clip-ons or a bar?
                  If it has a bar, it could simply be a bent bar,
                  If clip-ons, maybe they are not set the same, and if they have the same position, then look lower in the assembly.

Comment

Working...
                  X