X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

use public transit?

seriously - when you can, use it.

Comment

Short shift. Drive slow. Use a bigger front sproket.

People were getting in the low 90's mpg wise with GS1000's in the vetter fuel economy challenges. IIRC...
      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

On gas mileage!

I have a GS750L, & just did a MPH today! I got only 22MPH! You guys talking about 40 or more MPH, must be nuts! HA! Unless it's just the 450 your talking about! I think the book says that the 750 should get 43MPH new! My bike runs great! At least I thought it did. But with the numbers your talking about is a reality for my bike, then, I must be doing something very wrong! Maybe it's because I weigh a bit more 250LBS, huh? I ride it about 1/2 & 1/2, hard & easy;maybe a little on the easy side, as I am 58 yrs old, but I do go through the gears quit well! If anybody has any info for me, I would be more than happy to listen. Although, I couldn't afford any of those expensive tires, as I am on a fixed income.. I bought the bike when my regular truck broke down, & I got this for gas mileage! Ha! It gets about what my explorer got! But what a trip w/this bike! It's a pure pleasure riding! Especially when people look at me going like hell, & wonder if I am crazy or what! Thanks for the ear!

Comment

If you haven't rebuilt the carbs yet, that's something to consider. Also, a new air filter may also be needed. I'll second the short shifting. Also, try not to race from light to light (not that you do), and avoid hard breaking. Also, if your typical driving is around town, ie. a lot of stop and go driving, your mileage isn't going to be great. Try and run 100 miles on some open roads at a steady speed and check your mileage again. It should improve.

Brad tt

Comment

1980 Gs1100l

What sort of gas mileage should I expect from my 1980 GS1100L??

Comment

Mid 30's at best. After all it is a big bike. I get mid 40's to 50 out of my 650 in mixed highway city driving.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by prism4
                What sort of gas mileage should I expect from my 1980 GS1100L??
                I get in the mid-40 mpg range with my 1980 GS1100ET. Anywhere from 42 to 47 depending on conditions, but averaging about 45 mpg. Engine tuning and tire inflation considerations aside, acceleration, speed and throttle habits will have a major effect on mileage.

Comment

Okay I think I am averaging about 35 to 36. I will make a good check on it this week. I would love to be getting 40 to 45. I guess I need to check on some things. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X