Float valve jacket O-ring Leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float valve jacket O-ring Leak?

My bike was leaking fuel the other day from the front of the number 1 carb boot when it was on the kick stand, as soon as I put it up on the centerstand fuel started dripping out of the air box, the carbs themselfs were dry so I figured that one of the floats was stuck open slightly. I pulled the carbs and cleaned the fuel bowls. The float valve jacket came out real easy (no tools needed), so even thought the O-ring looked okay I think it has worn beyond it's fuel holding ability, of course I reassembled and started the bike anyway (my wife calls me Mr. Patience ). It started and ran fine but the next morning it was leaking again only not as much. I went down to the shop to buy new O-rings only they cost $30.00 and have to be ordered. The parts guy suggested a tube of gasoline compadible gasket maker. Has anyone ever attempted this?

Agreed, you likely have a float that is not holding the fuel in its bowl, but if you have the bike on the sidestand overnight then it would be 2, 3, or 4. The leak comes because the fuel runs downhill through the connecting tubes and exits at #1.

More importantly, you must check your fuel petcock/shut-off valve, because the fuel appears to be reaching the carbs when the engine is stopped, and it should not do that. You need to do this right away, because if fuel is dripping from the carb it means some is likely to be running into the carb as well, and once it gets into the engine it drops to the oil pan and mixes with your oil.......NOT a good idea.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Just buy some universal neoprene o-rings from Partsource or Napa. They come in a multitude of sizes and are gasoline compatible.

Comment

I'm leaving this URL often enough to be considered SPAM any day now, but...

We'll get ya fixed up.

RB
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
        X