No announcement yet.

GS Tune-Up Tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bikes with shim valve adjustments (round cam end cap - 8 valve 4 cylinder models and 4 valve 2 cylinder models) use clearances .03mm - .08mm. And yes, .03mm is a very, very thin gap.

Bikes with screw and locknut type adjusters (square cam end cap - 16v models), use different clearances. I dunno what, but they are likely larger.

Using inch measurements is an extremely bad and confusing idea when dealing with metric motorcycles -- metric feeler gauges are widely and easily available, so it's well worth spending the measly $5 on a metric set.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks, bwringer, that explains it.

My 16 valve bike uses the screw and locknut setup, so I was used to the larger clearances.

Your admonition about mixing metric and inch measurements is very good advice, since even the "rocket scientists" screw up with improper conversions such as the pathetic Mars Mission's Metric Mixup which caused the $94 million Mars Climate Orbiter spacecraft to be lost.

Comment

Clymer gives the clearance limits in both mm and inches - .0012-.0031". Most of the guage sets didn't even go that small. Since I've got the shim deal, I guess I get to take the measurements, then order whatever new shims I need and wait a week or so for them to come in. :?

Comment

Clymer gives the clearance limits in both mm and inches - .0012-.0031". Most of the guage sets didn't even go that small. Since I've got the shim deal, I guess I get to take the measurements, then order whatever new shims I need and wait a week or so for them to come in. :?

Comment

Don't get discouraged about waiting for new shims to arrive!

After several years of valve adjustments and scavenging, you start to build up a little collection of shims. I haven't needed to buy a new shim for a couple of years.

Cycle Recycle II is only about 25 minutes from my office and they have new shims for $5 each. Whenever I make the trip, I sometimes buy an extra shim or two to fill in gaps in my collection.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

So if I keep this bike as long as I hope to, and get to do this a few times, I ought to be in fairly good shape, with some extra shims to swap around on the tappets as needed.

Comment

You can also get feeler guage stock from any Machine Shop Supply store.
                Bought size's .03-.08mm at $2 each.

Comment

As far as carb synching tools go, I made one of these recently for my XJ900:

I balanced carbs 1 and 2, then 3 and 4, then balanced the two banks (2 and 3). Dead easy and it took 5 minutes.

You could also link 4 tubes together with connectors in the same principle to do all the carbs at once.

It works well because you only need to compare the vacuum measurements between the carbs to balance them - and using oil is more accurate / sensitive than mercury due to it's lighter weight.

Comment

Antman,

Can you describe how you would link the 4 tubes together to do all the carbs at once? Although, I'll bet just doing it like you did (each pair, then each bank) would only take slightly longer.

Comment

Originally posted by topher1556
                      Can you describe how you would link the 4 tubes together to do all the carbs at once? Although, I'll bet just doing it like you did (each pair, then each bank) would only take slightly longer.
                      A simple and inexpensive way to do it would be to use two "T" fittings. Route two tubes to each fitting and use a short piece of tubing to connect the two fittings.

Comment

Specialty tools

Feeler gauges are a real pain to find, people don't use them any more since most vehicles have electronic ignition. Even lawn mowers don't have points, I went to Sears's tool department and found two sets, lowest value somewhere in the 10 thousanth. I've looked at a couple of sites and cannot find the .001, I think the lowest I could find was .003, except in a special tool companies website, I could find a .002 but the gauge package was above $60.00.
                        If anyone out there knows where you can get a .001 would you reply so I can get a set?

Comment

Dighouse,

The following link should take you to one available from snap-on for a whopping $5.35.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Comment

Originally posted by TONY.STEWART
                            Dighouse,

The following link should take you to one available from snap-on for a whopping $5.35.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

I ordered these, and they are perfect for what we need. Plus, that price is with shipping!!

Comment

Oh, and the valve adjustment tool from California Sport Touring Inc. is only $17.56 before shipping ( http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...ory_Code=Tools )

Comment

Originally posted by smithbm
                                A simple and inexpensive way to do it would be to use two "T" fittings. Route two tubes to each fitting and use a short piece of tubing to connect the two fittings.
                                I don't get it (call it a brain fart, or whatever).

Let's lay this out: You have one piece of tubing going from a carb, down in a big "u" shape, and back up to another carb. But, we have 4 carbs... So where in this one piece of tube, could you connect "T" fittings to check all the carbs at the same time?

Comment

Working...
                                X