valve seals & guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve seals & guides

I'm replacing the valve seals & quides in my 850 head & want to know if I can "tap" out the old valve guides or do I need to use a press? I realize they must be put in with a press but wonder if I can gently remove them?
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

It's possible to tap/hammer out old guides, but you for sure don't want to attempt installing the new ones the same way. Doesn't matter how gently you tap, you'll swell/damage the new guides by tapping them in. The head usually needs to be heated and the guides chilled, then pressed in.

Regardless of how they are installed, they'll need to be reamed to an exact fit to your valve stems for long life. Interpret that to mean "machine shop". I realize that money is almost always a factor in maintenance decisions, but there's a few things best done properly with the exact tools and equipment. Valve guides is one of the few places I'll pay the machine shop labor rate on and get it done professionally. Just my two cents worth, remembering that advice is worth what you pay for it

Comment

Yeh, like I said in my post, I plan on having the new ones pressed in by a shop.
      More questions, Where can I order new guides from, other than the dealer?
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

I don't know whether or not they have exactly what you need, but they seem to be worth looking at... http://gszone.biz/guides.html

Comment

Unfortunately, I didn't see them for the 850. I was looking for an aftermarket supplier like Ron Ayers or someone. I'm not too familiar with the suppliers stateside since I am located in Ontario Canada

Comment

Have you measured the guides?? How do you know they are bad???
            If you can't find them a competent shop should be able to adapt something to work.

Comment

Are the guides the same for 750 & 850? Mine seem to be made of steel rather than bronze, or is that just because they have changed color due to the heat?

Comment

Working...
              X