Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For all the rebuilders with dirty hands (This really works)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For all the rebuilders with dirty hands (This really works)

If you want to try a really gentle cleaner for your dirty, dry and cracked hands while you are doing your repairs and rebuilds, try "Clean & Clear" foaming facial cleaner by Johnson & Johnson. It removes any and all dirt and grease super fast and is really easy on your hands.

Doc

I wear gloves when wrenching, keeps my hands clean and prevents scrapes. I buy throwaway cotton work gloves, 20 pair for 5 dollars.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I guess I'm too old school. :-) Half an ounce of fresh motor oil (any brand) will non abraisively remove any grease and grunge from hands and then wash off easily with some liquid Joy and water. :-)

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

GOJO works well for me, and it contains "lanolin and soothing emollients" to prevent dryness and cracking.

I have never tried it, but I suspect that it's probably not as good as "Clean & Clear" for cleaning your face.

Earl's method is interesting. I have never thought of putting motor oil on my hands to clean them. I'm going to try this the next time I think of it.

Comment

Something that works well for me is to dampen my hands and arms to the elbows before beginning work and lathering them heavily with a bar of bath soap, any brand. Let it dry and have at it. It forms a layer that stops the majority of grease and oils penetrating into pores and under nails. When you're finished working, it rinses off easily with water. Obviously nothing stops everything, and I frequently have to take step #2 with GoJo or something similar, but this helps hugely. I will though try the "Clean & Clear" also. I'm always looking for an edge

Comment

I find that simply keeping my old pine sawdust (or asking my local timber merchant for some of his) and sticking it in an old plastic container then adding 1 litre of cheap crap dish detergent does the job for my dirty hands real well!

The pine sawdust is made even softer from the dish detergent and still maintains the "grittyness" to clean
            :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Comment

Just one word.....
              Okay, two words....
              Baby Oil.
              Rub it in really well, wash it off really well.
              Like the motor oil it removes every bit of oil based dirt.

But you smell soooo nice!!

If coconut oil comes from coconuts and peanut oil comes from peanuts, baby oil .....

Time flies like an arrow;
              Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Laundry soap. If you've got any cuts it feels sooooo nice!
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Swarfega - basically works by removing the top layer of skin.

Other than that, I use surgical latex gloves.

Comment

I'm a fan of surgical gloves as well, but if I do get dirty I skip the motor oil step and go directly to Palmolive dishwashing liquid ... gently takes off the grease without ripping your hands up, AND,

"softens hands while you do dishes!!"

Steve 8)

PS By the way, I've heard that "Dawn" works even better, but I've always used Palmolive...

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
                      I'm a fan of surgical gloves as well, but if I do get dirty I skip the motor oil step and go directly to Palmolive dishwashing liquid ... gently takes off the grease without ripping your hands up, AND,

Steve 8)

PS By the way, I've heard that "Dawn" works even better, but I've always used Palmolive...
                      Hey Madge,

You want to come to my house and wash all the dishes?

J
                      16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                      13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                      78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                      Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                      02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                      12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                      82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Originally posted by jonr
                        Originally posted by Planecrazy

Steve 8)

Hey Madge,

You want to come to my house and wash all the dishes?

J
                        Ah ya beat me to it.

Hey Madge, does it really work? :P

Real men use Sandpaper to scrub off the dirty layer of skin. :twisted:

Actually Dawn works great for me. I usually have to use it twice.
                        I have some of the Orange Goop that I've been using lately. Works awesome, but with no Lanolin - it does dry my hands out a bit.
                        Then I just soak em in side her. errr I mean Cider. 8O 8)

Comment

softies

thanks ,ya'll are genius. My girlfriend thanks you all.

Comment

That all great for oil and grunge, but my least favorite part of wrenchin' is getting gasoline on my hands. Anyone have a slick way of washing that off? I usually end up wahing my hands with GoJo, Dawn and then a couple of times with regular hand soap, but the stink still lingers.

Appreciate it.

Rick

Comment

light a match to it. one word of caution.... burnt flesh stinks worse than gasoline

Comment

Working...
                              X