Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For all the rebuilders with dirty hands (This really works)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've found that putting vaseline or bearing onto my hands first makes it so much easier to wash up, the dirty grease stays on top of the clean stuff.

Comment

I am a fan of surgical gloves for wrenching. They are cheap and work well even with small parts and tough to reach places. The gloves are also fairly tough and resistant to tearing. They can also be re-used if you take them off properly. All you need to do is lift up the edge by your wrist and blow air underneath (either your mouth or an air compressor...be careful with the seond option..you can just imagine huh.. 8) ), the glove inflates and you pull your fingers out...viola!!!

scud

Comment

Why not just use orange hand cleaner? 2$ a tub and it kills the grease in seconds, plus is easy on the hands.

Comment

surgical gloves can also double as a tourniquet when the wrench slips.. I dunno, I figure if I can keep my hands clean to start with it gets me to the fridge and cold one sooner (cannot get the handle on the fridge greasy...)

Comment

You guys clean your hands after wrenching? What a bunch of sissys.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

rpickle, I'll weigh in with one more suggestion... I remove gasoline residue and smell with Clorox Comet Cleanser and a scrub brush, I then wash that off with regular hand cleaner.

With the wide variety of chemicals, greases and oils that I run into in an aviation maintenance shop, I wash my hands probably 6 to 8 times a day. There's no way around drying out one's skin. I simply keep bottles of moisturizer all over the place... one on my toolbox, one in my truck, computer desk, end table... you get the idea.

Comment

Thanks DaveDanger, I'll give that one a try. Not sure pntrdave's match trick is what I am looking for though. Have used gloves in the past that were supposed to be resistant to petrol, didn't like them at all. They were cumbersome and tore easily.

Later folks.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                  You guys clean your hands after wrenching? What a bunch of sissys.
                  hell ya, chicks dig greasy hands. When I get REAL dirty (caked old oil up to my elbows) I use Gojo pumace, works pretty good.

Comment

I continue to remind the "chick" that I married, that she fell for me in a worn out t-shirt, jeans with holes in 'em, and grease up to my armpits. She mumbles in return that the t-shirt & jean sizes were all different then and the armpit grease was from an external source....

Comment

Working...
                    X