quick question about non-stock tire sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick question about non-stock tire sizes

My bike's an 83 GS750E, stock size front tire is 100/90-16, rear is 120/90-17.

The rear needs replaced pretty soon, so I got to looking at the sizes of both tires currrently on it.

There's a 110/90 up front, but the rear was kept at a 120/90.

And it's wierd - the slightly larger than stock front tire actually looks more natural than the stock rear. The curvature of the front looks absolutely perfect, while the rear looks almost too skinny for the rim!

Both tires are Bridgestone Battlax BT-45's.

So anyhow, I'm confident that a 130/90 will fit on the rear with swingarm clearance to spare - that will give me one size wider than stock on both wheels now.

Any cautions against doing this? Like I said, the current front looks perfect, it doesn't looked squeezed on or pinched or anything.

Oh - by the way - I don't plan to mix the makes of the tires. I'll keep the rear a BT-45 as well.

Thanks.

Chad

Mine has a 130/90/17 on the rear.

Shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Comment

A 130 will fit fine. Just don't go any bigger. You'll pinch the sidewalls and end up with a smaller contact patch and triangular profile that will want to fall into turns.

Comment

I went with a 130/80 BT45 the last time I changed tires.

I like how the the narrower sidewall profile looks, and technically there should be less sidewall flex and better feedback, but I couldn't really notice a difference...

I'm running a 110 on the front as well, with no issues after about 4k miles. The front seems more stable at speed with the wider tire, or it could just be me....

Comment

Originally posted by QuaiChangKane
          I'm running a 110 on the front as well, with no issues after about 4k miles. The front seems more stable at speed with the wider tire, or it could just be me....

Hmmm. Thanks for the input.

How is the cornering with the bigger front?

Comment

steering will always be heavier with wider front

Comment

Originally posted by Stinkwheel
              steering will always be heavier with wider front
              That's what I figured. I love the way my 750 is "Flickable".

Comment

To be honest it wont be that bad, you will notice it at first but soon it will feel fine.

Back when i had a 600 Bandit i went to the bigger radial sizes as the RF600 uses (same wheels)

For the first day it felt awful but soon felt good and the grip was much better.

Comment

The 110 will only slightly slow down the steering but will probably result in a more stable bike once you get it leaned over.

Comment

Well I have a 1984 GS750ES, I have gone to a 100/90 front and 130/80 rear and have had no problems at all, the rear fits in with plenty of clearance - roughly half an inch between the tire and the brake stay on the right, and just over half an inch to the chain guard on the left.. they are both BT45's.

I haven't managed to find the limits of grip yet... probably not trying hard enough!

Comment

chad those tires should be fine on your bike your back rim should be a 3 1/2 inches which will accomadate the 130 tire. i live about 45 minutes from columbus when the weather breaks we will have to do some riding. i plan to have my bike finished by the end of febuary. if its above 45 degrees im riding. let me know if you are interested ????? i am definately coming up to mid ohio this year and might look into the camping at one of the places that your parents own.

Comment

Working...
                      X