Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'83 GS1100E diagnostic (what does this noise mean?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS1100E diagnostic (what does this noise mean?)

Hello all,
    I've got an '83 suzuki that has been my do everything bike for the last 4 years or so. We are approaching 60k on the clock. Last week she started making a noise. Sort of a clunk, but not quite. It's a little sharper or snappier sounding than a true clunk) It sounds like it is coming from low downin the engine or transmission (maybe even the clutch, but I don't think so).

It seems to occur only at low speeds. For example, I pull out of my parking spot in the garage at work. I accelerate up the ramp in 1st gear and then back off the throttle as I near the door. It is when I get off the throttle that I'm hearing it. It also happens a lot in second gear slow moving traffic. I don't think it is related to pulling the clutch lever in, but as I write this I'm questioning that.

It really feels like something has just started getting a little sloppy between the crank and the chain.

Does anybody have any theories, tests, suggestions?

On a potentially related topic, if I can get my '93GSX1100G sorted out any time soon, I'd like to retire the GS1100E from daily use and give her some of the love she has earned. I'm thinking about getting the engine overhauled top to bottom. Can anybody recommend someone in the Pacific Northwest for such a job?

thanks

I'd take a guess and say the clutch backing plate springs?? With 60K on a stock basket that's alot of wear I think. Or maybe just the dog's are back slapping themself's when your back off the gas.

How about the rear brake rod loose or chain hitting the cover.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Rear wheel hub cushions??

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, but...

Last night I was able to determine that the clutch lever isn't part of the equation. It also seems that whatever is happening is affected by both getting on and off the gas.

It really feels like something is shifting as the engine compression slows it all down and then it shifts back the other way when I give it gas.

It feels like it is further foward than the rear hub cushions. I tested this by putting the bike on it's ceter stand with it in gear and rocked the rear wheel forward and back. The rear wheel and chain feel fine.

I'll have to take a quick look at the rear break tension arm to check that. If it is the clutch plate backing springs or the dogs, do you think it would have developed so quickly? I don't know about the dogs, but it seems like the clutch backing springs would start exhibiting wear in a gradual fashion.

I'm hoping and praying for some time to start taking things apart to try and investigate, but time has been tough to come by as of late.

thanks again

Comment

A long shot, but check the motor mounts.
          i had one loosen up on my 1000S and it felt like the rear wheel was ready to jump off.
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

This sounds exactly what my 81 was doing before I decided to tear it down. In my case, it was the chain. The chain was brand new, but I made the mistake of trusting the alignment marks on the swingarm during the install. The chain was also installed a little too tight, trashing my new sprockets as well as the chain. The result was a nasty clunking and grinding noise on take off, and while not on the throttle and at speed. It seemed fine at higher speeds however, which in conjunction with the fact I had new chain and sprockets made me believe it was a transmission problem. I can show you pics of the sprockets- ugly wear. Check the sides of your sprockets for wear.

Check your chain for alignment and proper tension. I now keep my chain at just tight enough so it doesn't hit the swingarm, and it is beauty. Don't trust those alignment marks on the swingarm!
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Checking the chain would be the first thing since it is so easy, I would look to the splines on the clutch basket as a possible soure of the noise

Comment

Yep, thats perfect chain tension. I try to keep it like that too. :-)
                Kept that way, chains and sprockets almost dont wear. he eh eh
                After 25K miles on a chain and sprocket set, I get new ones but not because theyre worn out. I just feel guilty. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro
                I now keep my chain at just tight enough so it doesn't hit the swingarm, and it is beauty. Don't trust those alignment marks on the swingarm!
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Your noise is the clutch basket!!!
                  The basket in these motors is two piece, as miles pile up the two pieces become "loose" that is your noise the "slop in the clutch itself, not the lever or anything else. The only way to see it is to remove the clutch from inside the engine, I would be very surprised if it isn't a case of most if not all of the springs on the back of your clutch basket are not loose or broken.
                  Dink

Comment

Working...
                  X