Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DOES FITTING A 3.5 X 17 FRONT WHEEL FIX THE GS1150 WOBBLE ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOES FITTING A 3.5 X 17 FRONT WHEEL FIX THE GS1150 WOBBLE ?

As most people know the 16" front wheel comes standard on the GS1150 (well atleast in australia it does) I want to know if anyone has tried fitting a 17 x 3.5" GSXR front wheel, and found it to have sorted the handle bar wobbles at 40 MPH (60-70kph), type speeds, that this model seems to suffer from. Ive tried all the usual bits, like checking for tyre walls coming unstuck. Tried different tyre pressures. tried brand new tyres. Even replaced head stem bearings. checked frame straightness. tried different ride hights....etc etc... The front wheel is my next try, but Id like to know if its worth doing. Has anyone succseeded in reducing or eliminating the wobbles with this modification ?

It is supposed to make a difference , no personal exp

Comment

It's not going to be a bolt on affair. The easiest was to accomplish it is to bolt on an entire GSXR front end. ROtors are different between the two and most likely axle diameters.

Comment

I did all the things on my 1150 you have done and the two things I think finally solved the problem was replacing the fork seals and slider rings in the tubes and replacing the stock springs with the much stiffer progressive springs. Also, an "O" ring weep on the posi damper to fork tube fit will contribute somewhat to an ustable front end.

My 1150 has no wobble or shake at any speed, so I am positive the problem can be fixed without replacing the front end or the 16" rim. I wouldnt want to replace the 16" rim because that is a lot of the reason why the steering is so quick and light.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks for that feed back. Fork seals and bushes and "O" rings etc were all replaced when I fully reconditioned the forks, so that aspect is covered too. Ive actually fitted a 17 x 4.5 GSXR rear wheel in the bike already, so putting in the GSXR front wont be a problem, as I have all the machines to make everything. Another thing that crossed my mind may be the mix between a radial tyre on the 4.5" rear and a cross ply on the stock 16" front. Wander if this could be causing the problem. What do you think ?

Comment

Whitey The other thing to remember is that Australia was the only market to come equipped with an 18" rear wheel!
            Try a radial tyre off an early CBR900 on the front as the stiffer rear radial may not be helping your wobble, my own GSX1100EF has only ever "headshook" twice in the six years I have had it,have you looked at the condition of your rear shock and or linkage bushes?Most suspension problems show up at the other end.
            Dink
            BTW are you Whitey from Adelaide, a fellow Katana owner??

Comment

I run a Metz 33 bias on the front and a Dunlop D205 140x17 radial on the rear. I've been doing so for aprox 9k miles. Never a propblem and handling seems to be a bit better than the Metz 55 I had always preferred. The tires are not the cause (at least they werent for me). I run 36 psi in the front and 38psi in the rear.

Earl

Originally posted by WHITEY
              Another thing that crossed my mind may be the mix between a radial tyre on the 4.5" rear and a cross ply on the stock 16" front. Wander if this could be causing the problem. What do you think ?
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Hey Whitey,
                I agree with Dink. My GS had a bad wobble at the front and it turned out to be the linkage at the rear shock. Keep all that clean and lubed with new bushings etc and it will stop the wobble.

Comment

i jusy added a steerng daampner from a 05 busa on my 1150 and new set of metzlers no wobble or thehead shake i read about on this forum. ebay suppllied the dampner and i fabed. the the bracket and did the welding

Comment

I did the 17inch wheel swap back and front, in my experiance I beleive the wobble is cuased either by loose swinging arm spindle, or headstock being overtightend, and tires, old tires majorly a differance, and contrary to previous advice never mix radials wlth crossply

Comment

I just fixed my slight headshake last week. Mine would shake when you took your hands of the bars. My steering stem nut was loose and the rear wheel was just slightly out of alignment with the front. Now she runs as if on rails at any speed. HUGE difference.
                      I am running a metzeler ME330 on the front and ME550 on the rear. So far I like them alot.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Excellent feed back fellas. Thanks for that. Its given me a few more things to try. Ive tried almost everything else. ALL bushes and bearings on the whole bike were replaced during resto. DINK, it certainly is me, whitey the fellow Kat klub member. Thanks for your imput too. I swapped to a GSXR 17 x 4.5' rear wheel on my EF when restoring it for bigger rubber. Another reason I want to try the 17 x 3.5' front, which will match the rear 3 spoke style.

Comment

I found it hard toget a 4.5 wheel in my EFE. check your wheel alignment. and did you fit a offset sprocket? I whent with a GSF rear wheel. it was alot les bother but Ihat to switch out the bearings so it would fit the EFE rear wheel shaft. if the rear wheel isnt aligned properly it will shake alot.!!!

Comment

Originally posted by joe.d
                            if the rear wheel isnt aligned properly it will shake alot.!!!
                            I agree. tightening the steering nut took away the shake at 40 MPH on mine, but it still had a little wobble when up over 80 MPH. The alignment fixed that.
                            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Don't trust the alignment marks on the swingarm either. If you don't now how to use the string method do an internet search. Several sites give a good rundown on how to do it. Just use motorcycle string alignment as your search criteria.

Comment

Working...
                              X