Condensation in the cylinders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Condensation in the cylinders?

So my bike has been sitting for a couple months with the carbs out, about half of the time it was covered...

Are there any precautions I should take when I install new carbs as far as making sure there isn't water in the engine? Should I just blow some compressed air in there?

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
    -Simon

Pour some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders before you try & start it, put some fresh oil in the motor, rotate the engine with the plugs out in 5 second burst so as to not over heat the starter until the oil light goes out.
    reinstall the plugs

Comment

Thanks, where can I get the mystery oil and how much should I put in?

Comment

Don't know about the Marvel Mystery Oil, but normally a teaspoon-teaspoon and a half is about the right amount of oil to put in a cylinder for storage or restarting purposes. I've got a couple of medical syringes in my tool box that work great for it. Pull the plugs and squirt it in there.

Comment

Marvel Mystery Oil® can be obtained at most any automotive parts store or Walmart. I don't think it'll restore virginity, return a cylinder bore to original specs, or improve ones gas mileage to triple the current, but it is good stuff You can never go wrong lubricating cylinder walls after a prolonged period of not running.

If I were concerned about a small bit of condensation inside the cylinders from the engine having been open and/or exposed, I feel the best treatment is heat. Warm that engine up for a few hours with a small heater of some sort. Be careful of gasoline fumes if you're using a heater with glowing elements or open flame. Nothing drives away moisture better than heat.

Comment

cylinders

Don't reccomend blowing compressed air as it usually has water in it unless your runnin a water seperator in line.Never tried mystery oil sounds like it might work,I do know PB blaster works and you can get true compression readings sooner than it takes most oils to thin out.

Comment

Try Kragen, Autozone, OSH.

Comment

Got the mystery oil guys... Looks like just what I am looking for...

Should I squirt it in there a few days before the carbs go in or should I do it immediately before?

Thanks,
                -simon

Comment

Put it in there, and then rotate your crankshaft manually or hit the starter button a few times. Then put in the plugs and let 'r rip.

Comment

Open the garage door first... there will be a massive white cloud as the oil burns off, and the MMO will make it smell rather interesting!
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                      Open the garage door first... there will be a massive white cloud as the oil burns off, and the MMO will make it smell rather interesting!
                      Hehe I wish I had a garage door to open here at school!... The bike has been sitting in the college parking lot since I bought it months ago...

I did get a nice cover though.

Thanks for the input guys... After many delays a new set of eBay carbs (that may or may not work) should be here mid next week...Guy kept me waiting for over a week before shipping them

-Simon 8)

Comment

what if your carbs have only been off 4or 5 days is that still an issue?I have the boots covered up with cardboard and will get my new o-rings on and carbs back on saturday.It been warm and dry here in kc. until today.60 yesterday and32 with snow now! CRAZY WEATHER!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X