Carb flooding fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb flooding fuel

Hi, I've got an 80' model GS850 and one of the carbs is spilling out fuel back through the carb. It happened when I got caught in traffic on a very hot day. It still leaks even when the engine isn't turned on so I have to make sure the tap is off. Can any one help? I'm not really confident to pull down the carb without knowing where to look.

The fuel needle is either dirty or the O ring for the needle seat is leaking.
    Do you have a manual petcock ?? that you can turn off ??

Comment

I had the same problem of leaking fuel into the carbs and engine when I bought my 1980 850. The solution was to replace the needle O rings.

Comment

Matty-j-r : My father-in-law gave me his 81 850. It burned up after leaking fuel like yours. From what I've seen the cause seems to be dirty carbs. Good luck. ikazuki

Comment

You either have a stuck float or bad o-rings on the float valve seats. I would suspect the o-rings if they've never been replaced.

Comment

You can get a complete set of O rings for the carbs from
            www.cycleorings.com may cost an extra $1 for postage

Comment

Whats the address to get the o rings for the BS32 SS cv carbs on my 650 so I can send a money order? Oh yea.the price would be nice also.

Comment

I didn't know that it had an OFF position on the petcock

Comment

Originally posted by danbouck
                  I didn't know that it had an OFF position on the petcock
                  It doesn't, as long as the petcock is working properly you just don't leave it on prime. Even then as long as the diaphram isn't leaking or the floats aren't screwed up you shouldn't have fuel leaking.

Comment

As too the address click on the link in the reply

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                      You either have a stuck float or bad o-rings on the float valve seats. I would suspect the o-rings if they've never been replaced.
                      I would bet money this is your problem. Had the same thing recently happen to me restoring a Honda Twinstar. If fuel has been sitting in that carb for years or even months it will corrode the seat on the float valve and the bowl will overflow and out the tube on the bottom of the carb.

Comment

Working...
                      X